Sign in to follow this  
Hank_Marvin

Severely Faded Car

Hi, woundered if any1 had an amazing tip. Basically my polo was red, but now the roof, bonnet, doors and the down bars near rear window are white/pink. I spent bout 3 hours hard tcutting it and got a perfect shiny red, but 2days later turning back by 5 just the same as before. I seen those car polishing buffers, didn't no if they were good, or if any1 has a good tip. also would a hard tcut then wax it kinda seal the colour. cheers

Sounds lik a 1991 - 1993 era car. Basically VW got it wrong with the first water based paints they started using back then, particularly red. The only way to cure it for sure is to re-spray the car. They initially did that under warrenty but the paint warrenty is now expired for the era where the cars afflicted.

No matter how deep you go with the T-cut, the UV sunlight and airborne contaminants have shot the colour coat. The result you are getting is where it will go despite waxes, etc. The result you will get is no top colour coat of pain and the underlying white base paint will show through.

well its an N so 96, ooo but dont sound good, makes selling difficult, i'll post some pics maybe peeps could let me know how much to knock off. cheers

i tried using t-cut to restore my tornado red corrado and like you say it fades again very quickly, a friend of my fathers who is a chemistry professor and has a couple of classic cars said he would never use t-cut due to the amount of amonia in it and said it will make it look nice for a short time and then actually help to bleach the paint.

and the guy at my local body shop said he never uses it and prefers ferecla g3 instead and then a good quality wax polish or carnuba wax polish to seal and protect the paint, but like what has allready been said the only way to sort it out permenently is to get a re-spray

i find that a good waxing with a carnuba based polish lasts for about 2 months before it starts to noticeably fade again, i am using a carnuba wax that was given to me by the guy who resprayed the back end of mine after it was shunted by some dosy bint, i think its a bodyline product but i am steadily running out of it.

There is a 3M bodyshop cutting copmpound/polish, i had a tornado red 16v before that was tornado pink, it got 3m'd and was fine, it just needed to be polished on a regular basis to keep the finish, with the 3m stuff its propper body shop compound, one with a white cap, this is the one to use first and then one with a red cap, this is the finishing compound. Then use a good quality was and it will last reasonably well

Don't T-Cut the poor thing any more, it'll have no paint left :(

Ok, this sounds dodgy, but bear with me...

Lick your finger and rub the paint. If it comes back to being red then all you need is some good quality (i.e. high Carnuba content) wax.

The Swissol stuff that john_wintle sells (with a CF discount ;) - http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=514 ) is fantastic stuff and as coolrado says, will bring it back to life for a couple of months.

But, as the other guys have said, you'll only get it back to proper red with a full re-spray...

coolrado has it spot on. NEVER use T-cut on a red car, it'll make it worse!

Machine polish the car with G3 and then seal with a high quality wax (not polish) like Meguiars NXT or Swissol/Zymol preps. This will help it alot, but as others have said a respray will be the only long lasting option.

its a fine cutting compound used by a lot of bodyshops to restore the paint finish, i think there are finer compounds available from them too

There is a 3M bodyshop cutting copmpound/polish, i had a tornado red 16v before that was tornado pink, it got 3m'd and was fine, it just needed to be polished on a regular basis to keep the finish, with the 3m stuff its propper body shop compound, one with a white cap, this is the one to use first and then one with a red cap, this is the finishing compound. Then use a good quality was and it will last reasonably well

Was this a different tornado red 16v to my one??

I must have spent a week T cutting this car last yr, I managed to get most of the white spots out but It does fade quite quickly not to white it just looses its shine.

If you do go for a polisher make sure it has variable settings as you can easily cut down to the primer on some parts if you go too heavy. That 3M stuff is good 2 different degrees of cutting heavy for the initial cut (white cap) and the red stuff brings it up nicely when used with a lighter buffer.

But if you've already T-Cut the whole car, it shouldn't need cutting any further...

It's waht the T-cut does to that freshly cut paint that is the issue. This is why the cut paint is fading again so quickly.

Probably best to have the machine poilshed professionally and then apply good wax regularly.

i really dont know why t-cut is so popular when there are far better products availiable for the same price which dont contain amonia, i actually tested the fading affect on my old spare boot i polished two patches one with t-cut that my dad bought and the other with g3 and the t-cut patch was pink again within a week and that was after thouroughly washing both patches the g3 patch had faded a little but nowhere near as much, my dad then took the t-cut back to halfords for a refund :lol:

Pinky red Mk2 GTi Golf outside my house just now. It is our youngest son's while he is away on holiday. H Reg.

My mate also has one of those exciting Toyota Corollas - M reg - I noticed it is getting pink instead of red, too, but I hadnt seen it for a while and didnt want to mention it - for friendship's sake.

away for the afternoon n lots of replys, thanks. Well respray is outa the question really, i wanna sell it to get a corrado so dont wanna spend loads of money only to get rid, so mite have to go for some of the techniques u lot said, iv'e done the engine clean, so i just want the paint 2 look ok-ish instead of poo. k gonna try sum of these sunday or monday. thanks again

Make sure you take some before and after pics so we can see how much crap we were all talking :D

o year, the old lick the finger job, makes it come back red, but u needa give it a gud rub. i was gonna take sum pics of the paint 2day but its 2 depressing so i just done before and after engine pics, under the bonnet the paint is wonderful as are the wing mirrors. so how do i get the discount on that stuff dinkus

i ordered one of those free car care books, i'll order that high Carnuba content) wax, waxy stuff, is that the actual name or will he know what i mean.

*edit*

It's pricey stuff