Sign in to follow this  
superhans

DIY spray job

hi, ok so i got my c cheap as a fixer-up-a and it came with some dodgy bodywork but mechanically was sound enough. Well after owning it for six months i've spent too much on other things for it and can't really afford for all the bodywork to be done proffessionally so i decided to do some of the smaller things myself leaving only the bigger dents for the bodyshop, I have had enough spraying experience and feel confident enough to have a go but just don't know anything about the different types of paint. So the paint code is L041 (black) and according to everywhere this is a basecoat with laquer which is fine but i just had some 2 pack paint mixed and got the primer, thinner and activater to go with it but no laquer.

So finally my question is this if i spray one of my wings with this 2 pack paint with a 2 pack laquer will it be ok and match the rest of the car of will i just be wasting my time and need a different paint altogether?

Sorry for such a long description but i do worry about my c and if its ever finished i want it to be spot on. Any help would be great.

Cheers.

Why not just get a random cheap panel from a scrappy or just some cheap metal, prep. it then spray it & see if you get a decent result.

Saves tears instead of it going pear shaped on your Corrado. :angel:

Very true but at this point i can still take the suff back, If i do that non of it can go back and i loose all the money.But that is an option.cheers

Carefully incase you wish to try and return it, open the tin of black and paint a piece of card as a sample, if its basecoat you will need to lacquer it because the basecoat is for the colour only and has a satin finish.

I'm sure the paint suppliers would take the primer, thinner and activator back, but not so sure about the black as they probably mixed it for you.

You need to be 100% sure you have wether you have 2 pack black or black base coat. If its 2 pack you will mix it with activator and a little thinners, if its base coat you mix it with thinners only and must lacquer it.

Be very carefull not to inhale the fumes as they are particularly nasty with 2 pack.

From my experience when I had some paint work done the body shop had a set of paint colour cards there was about four different shades of the same colour to represent any fade due to paint age. They then hold the cards up against the car and choose the match and get that shade made up as the paint colour may have fadded over the years. So I would be a little careful if the paint has not been aged to you car paint?

If you have any further questions I have a good freind that works in a body shop and could relay any questions to him if needed.