Sign in to follow this  
Waz

lumpy 16v engine when i start up

hi all iv had this problem for a while now when i start my corrado (1.8 16v) its like it starts on 2 or 3 cylinders its worse if the engine is hot after a run then re-start it a little while later any ideas would be very appreciated :?

Sounds like leeky injectors or a the fuel accumulator is not doing its job anymore. The accumulator holds the fuel pressure whilst the engine is switched off.

I had this problem on my Mk1 Golf GTI, it used to start perfectly when cold after being left over night. I had the cold start injector dissconected too - it would not start at all with it plugged in.

Would oil burning off give this affect? If a head needed a rebuild, would it cause this? Mine does it from time to time, and I know for a fact mine needs rebuilding as the seals/guides are foo-bar'd.

Just a thought.. :)

bcstudent thats exactly what happens

phil is the accumulator the part that is next to the fuel pump under the rear off the car if it is then i dont have one i removed it when i done my fuel pipes when i tryed to take the end off it just started to crumble so i chucked it the guys at vw couldnt tell me what it was for and said that the car would run ok without it

randal i thought that was the problem of mine to so i rebuilt the head (new stem seals, tappits ect,ect)and still no change just dosent reek oil any more

Hmmm, my original accumulator was rotten and leaking so I swapped it for a Mk2 Golf GTI K-Jet one I had in the shed. Apparently the Corrado and Golf accumulators are different but I don't have ETKA so I can't confirm this.

If the accumulator was the problem then why would the car start fine if left overnight? I can pretty much guarantee it's nothing to do with a worn engine. My car has just gone straight through its MOT and the exhaust emissions were low enough for me to believe the engine is in good order: CO 2.9% and HC 166ppm.

phil is the accumulator the part that is next to the fuel pump under the rear off the car

Yep thats it.

If the accumulator was the problem then why would the car start fine if left overnight?

I'm not intirely sure, but I know it solved the problems on the MK1. On a freezing cold winter morning it would start instantly, but on a hot sunny day after a run and then being left for a while it would take loads of cranking and then start on 2 cylinders, then a 3rd would come in and finally all 4.

Is this not due to two things. Lumpy starting is no doubt due to lower fuel pressure on start up, accumulator etc as pointed out. But the whole poor starting when hot could be due to vapour lock caused by fuel evaporating in the lines/injectors due to heat. cant really remember what to do about it though.

But the whole poor starting when hot could be due to vapour lock caused by fuel evaporating in the lines/injectors due to heat. cant really remember what to do about it though.

Change the injectors, that is where the fuel gets out, but I didn't do this and still managed to resolve the problem.

Is this not due to two things

I don't believe so.

Can someone check the part numbers of the K-Jet Golf GTI accumulator and that found on the 1.8 16v Corrado please?