Sign in to follow this  
g60griff

HOT

just been out for a little drive. just driving steadily down a lane, when all of a sudden the temp/coolant light started to flash, i looked at the gauge and it was flying up, i pulled over and turned the car off, the fan was on i left it a few minutes and the fan went off, switched the ignition on and the temp gauge shot up right off the scale and then just came back down to its resting spot. the light stopped flashing and i drove home, carefully, the temp gauge didnt move, but the light did start flashing again. anyone got any ideas. im just waiting for it to cool down a bit then il check the coolant level and the temp sencors.

the light flashes when the coolant level is low.....first thing to check is that.....if the coolant is low check for leaks... if the fans coming on then that rules out the fan temp sender,

hate to say it but this sounds exactly what happened to me a couple of months ago..turned out to be a head gasket :(

just checked coolant, it was low. i hadnt checked it in ages. also found a little leak out of the front of the block from a gasket where the black and blue temp sensors are. ive also changed the temp gauge for one i had in the garage. job done. i hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!