Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

VR6 big bore throttle

Right, got the dashpot back on, still not idling correctly.

Throttle cable is WAY too loose, it's on the end clip and there is still play in it.

Any ideas on sorting out this idle problem?

Maybe the cable was stretched, remember Ian said my idle screw had been over adjusted

Have taken some pics but had the camera on 7 megapixels so they are too big at the mo

EDIT : There you go... cheers Tom

OK, looks normal to me, but what concerns me is the arrowed bit below. The throttle has regularly hit the stop. The engine that throttle came from saw some regular full throttle action and the cable was clearly maladjusted, too tight. When setting the cable up, you can hear the throttle hit the stop and you want to adjust the cable so that when the throttle pedal is fully depressed, the stop only just makes contact without more pedal movement.

My cable is set to the same as yours, perhaps a detent or two slacker. If your idle is too low, it sounds more ISV related to me. Did you disturb any of the hoses or it's wiring?

Don't think we disturbed anything... will check a few things tomorrow.

Think it came from Dutch's engine, didn't it?

err, could have as I did send mine back recently :oops:

...my cable was adjusted correctly though and you'll remember I noticed straight away when it wasn't set right with the new body 8)

She does see some regular full throttle action though as I drive +/- 120 motorway Km's a day, ...and I do like a *play* every now and then :wink:

Dutch

...and she hit 200000 km's today, 148000 of which I did.

Sorry, OT, but thought I'd drop in that little mile stone between me and my beloved... 8)

ah, ok then.

I checked the tracking info. and Ian didn't actually collect mine from the PO until quite recently though so who know's where it is now!

Dutch

BTS? Blue temp sender...? Been changed by the dude who had the car before me as he had probs starting in the morning, is much worse now than before, so I think there may be more to this than meets the eye. Was thinking of changing the stat and housing anyway so may try that.

Have you tried unplugging the BTS while running or measuring the resistance across the pins??

If it cuts out or resistance is ver high/out of range then it's knackered!

Have you tried unplugging the BTS while running or measuring the resistance across the pins??

What should the resistance be?

Asked him this morning, but he's away for a drunken weekend!

No VAG-COM, but had it VAGCOM'd by Vince when I got the oil cooler

Oh is he now, he said he was coming over here for charger fitment this weekend.....LOL....oh well, his loss!

I dunno mate, it seems the previous owner of yours suffered with idling issues too.... Have you got the damper on there yet?

Yeah, stopped the engine revs dropping so quick, still stalls when cold though.

Would adjusting the screw on the TB open up the butterfly a bit? Is that just skating round a problem rather than solving it?

I *think* the resistance I measured is 3250 Ohms.... 3.25 on the 2000 setting. Measured the spare I have and that was 4.0

Couldn't get it idling well enough to take out the BTS