Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

clunking whilst steering!

When I'm stationary or moving quite slowly there is sometimes a clunk that eminates from the front of the car. Could this be my worn front bushes or is it my steering rack? I've got new wishbones and ball joints on order, as the bushes are knackered. Could that be where the noise is coming from?

i get this ive changed wish bone bushes, front shocks, top mounts & ball joints im going to change the steering column, steering rack and all the cv joints next!

does anybody know if you can change the steering column with out messing about with having to break the locking mech?

How easy is it to change the ball joints and wishbones?

I'm changing mine in the next few weeks, so I'll let you know!

Could the clucnking be coming from the tie rods (correct name?) at the ends of the anti roll bars?

Just done my wishbones, pretty simple job, front pivot bolt was a right b@stard to get out tho(didn't screw back in too well either!)

I remember doing this job on my Scirocco and it wasn't too much fun either. Does the Corrado have a captive nut that the front pivot bolt screws into just like the Scirocco? The reason I ask is that I remember crapping myself that I would cross thread it or the nut would become un-captive :) if you know what I mean, and would then require the services of someone handy at welding.

Now I'm worried! My mate mentioned the captive nut thing too! I don't really want to be stuck in Cambridge over the weekend, I don't think the missus would be too happy!