Sign in to follow this  
g60greeny

g60 air filter

has anyone got one of these fitted,i was wondering what difference apart from visual they make,also where to get one from,the one on ebay look a bit shat

The cone filter or the metal pipe from the filter to the charger ?

I have a cone filter. Blue_Joe has both a cone filter & metal pipe.

Main benefit is the extra engine noise when you boot the throttle. Must also fit a heat shield, otherwise the filter just sucks warm air in from the engine bay.

i've got the jabba induction kit,so i've already got the filter and heat shield i was thinking about making my own pipe,but if ther not too steep i might buy one,any idea where i'll get one from?

Don´t those induction kits breathe lots of hot air?

your reply is:

Must also fit a heat shield, otherwise the filter just sucks warm air in from the engine bay

so no they dont if you do it properly the one in the above pic will but that is just an advert to sell the solid pipe.

Even with the heat shield...

IMHO I believe that the best way is to take the carbon cannister off and take the air from there.

IMHO I believe that the best way is to take the carbon cannister off and take the air from there

sorry mate yes most of us threw that away ages ago! i have a jabba shield seems to work well. what i really want is a mandrel bent tube that puts the filter deep inside the drivers wheel arch (where the carb cannister was) to pick up the colder air (but hopefully not water!)

I'm actually just sticking with the standard air filter box, and probably going back to the oem paper filters. Reason: The cone filters not only suck in hot air when not properly shielded, their filtration is alos far less fine than that of a paper filter in the airbox. Those cone and cotton or foam panel filters are all good and well for NA engines that simply burn the little particle crap away, but on a supercharged engine, these tiny particles still need to clear the fast rotating scroll inside the Lader, hitting the scroll at high speed, leaving behind a nice moon-like crater-ridden surface.

Peeps in Germany have shown pictures of their scrolls after lenghty use of foam or cotton filters.

If you still want to use these foam or cotton filters it's best to very regularly clean and re-oil them. For me, my Lader is worth too much to me, so I'll probably go back to the paper filter.

Tempest

is that right mate? i did notice when i cleaned and reoiled that you can see a lot of daylight through the filter you rely on the oil quite a lot it seems to catch the smaller particles, i always give mine a spray once every few weeks, i just assumed anything small enough to get through the filter was going to go straight through the charger, and not be worth worrying about a discussion is what we need now!!

is that right mate? i did notice when i cleaned and reoiled that you can see a lot of daylight through the filter you rely on the oil quite a lot it seems to catch the smaller particles, i always give mine a spray once every few weeks, i just assumed anything small enough to get through the filter was going to go straight through the charger, and not be worth worrying about a discussion is what we need now!!

what spray do you use for your filter?

I would also recomend retaining the Std airbox for it advantages on keeping everything a bit cooler-cleaner

cheers mate,just had a look at my heat shield and theres a sticker telling me to use jetex filter spray,should have looked before i asked

Its all about stopping the heat from entering the filter and pipe if a metal one is used. There are 2 types of heat transfer happening in the bay, convection and radiation (conduction is through the charger itself). If you use a cone filter the heat sheild is critical. Jabba shield is a good shape and size but lacks some insulation. Its good at stopping the radiation heat transfer due to shiny surface on engine side. But it needs some insulation on the filter side since it will itslef get warm due to being a metal. Insulation could be a layer of neoprene, insulation wrap etc.

If using a metal induction pipe, try and insulate this also.