Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Thinking about getting a magnex exhaust.....

Hi

I own a Golf VR6 (I know not a Corrado) but this seems like a really good forum for VW's with helpful members. My car is totally standard and fast however I would like to add a full stainless steel exhaust and have heard good stories about the quality of Magnex, plus my stock one is getting rusty. I want to keep the car subtle with not an overly loud exhaust but I do want it to sound better than standard and louder (I used to own an XR2i with a sportex backbox...it sounded more like a motor bike and was a bit in your face). A friend of mine has a Magnex full system on a Clio Williams and it is actually fairly quiet at low revs but noticably deep which is what I'm looking for.

Has anyone got one on their corrado or any other VW ...is it good quality/how is the sound/ and what kind of power difference does the full system alone make in bhp/torque (or is there very little difference?) I was thinking about some kind of induction kit like K&N but don't really want to remove the existing standard air filter housing (as I want to keep mods to a minimum for when I sell the car in the future). Are there any performance panel or induction kit air filters that still retain the original stock air filter housing?

Also what does "DTM" stand for or mean when it comes to the tailpipe on an exhaust, as magnex seem to do either twin round exit or DTM exit for a Golf VR6?

Does a Magnex "knock" underneath the car, or is it very firm in place clear of the rear valance?

Thanks for any help and info to my questions.

Thanks

Matt

ps. Will my car's fuel/air mixture need adjusting after adding a full system exhaust or performance air filter?

Hello mate, welcome to the forum!

This thread - http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25077 - should give you all the info you need, but from what I hear, the Magnex is a good exhaust...

DTM is the German touring car championship, but in exhaust terms, it means twin upswept tailpipes. For a MK3 Golf, personally I think a nice rectangular "letterbox" style would look nice, but that's just me!

Good luck in your search. :D

i have a magnex cat back and i've got no complaints at all, good fit and good quality

as you said when going slow the exhaust is quiet but nice and deep when you boot it

i would buy another definitely

i have a magnex cat back and i've got no complaints at all, good fit and good quality

as you said when going slow the exhaust is quiet but nice and deep when you boot it

i would buy another definitely

Thanks for your replies. So why do you not like it at all when you boot it? Does it get too raspy / 'chav' like? I heard an Aston Martin fly by me the other day and the noise was so loud but amazing... I know I can't get a V8 sound with my VR6 but anything that came close to it I'd buy, no matter how loud. However an Aston Martin at idle is very quiet, unless you floor it. Astons apparently use Magnex exhausts.

Is there anybody who knows what sort of performance increase is there with a cat back system? I've been told it may only be negligable such as 1-2 bhp if at all. If this is the case I may just stick with a magnex backbox instead of the full cat back system.

So why do you not like it at all when you boot it

That's not what he said at all - I suggest you re-read his reply!

yea, he likes it. Don't expect any noticeable gains, also consider Miltek or Blue Flame are getting good reviews, not sure if they do a MK3 VR tho.

you wont be dissapointed with a magnex,ive had one on my vr6 now for about 2 years,the fit is just perfect,ive had my car lowered to the very limit(just for car shows)and it didnt knock,the blueflame exhausts ive heard are quite loud