Sign in to follow this  
flusted

mini cooper supercharger on 16v?

Keep seein mini cooper superchargers goin on ebay cheap,got a mate who does fabbing for a living,wot would be involved in supercharging my 16v?

Could i get away with running it on k-jet still?

I would've thought the eaton M45 on the mini would be a bit on the small side for a valver. An eaton M62 would probably be a better bet.

There's a fella on dubforce with dragster that he has fitted a blown ABF to. That's got an Mini blower on it.

Seems to go Ok but I don't know how well it would fit transverselt. He is using an Audi gearbox so the motor is inline.

Gavin

wanted to just bolt it on and run on k-jet without lowering compression and just run small amount of boost for the time being,then maybe go digi1?

for what it costs its not worth it.

you gotta be able to fit and run the charger the pipe it and cool it.

itll cost quite a bit for the bang you get.

I've heard the boost is crap on these, a friend of mine was going to put one on his Polo in place of the G lader, but it wouldn't give the same amount of boost let alone the work etc.

Ive had a look on vortex and there is loadsa info on there so im guna go ahead with the conversion!!! il keep ya posted and put pics up when i can

Ive had a look on vortex and there is loadsa info on there so im guna go ahead with the conversion!!! il keep ya posted and put pics up when i can

Looking forward to see how you get on dude....should be very interesting 8)

hang on guys, flusted's on about charging a car which currently doesn't have a charger! he doesn't care what kinda boost a G40 G60 or bigger Eton will produce as ANY boost that the charger makes should have a positive effect as long as the charger doesn't rob too much power to drive it... 8)

flusted, with a K-JET you'll need to treat it the same as supercharging a Carb'd car... the boost from the supercharger will need to be fed through the metering flap to get the fuelling anywhere near correct.

Thinking about this quickly, the way I'd probably set this up is something like this:

Air filter -> Supercharger -> G60 throttlebody (with waste gate venting to atmosphere) -> K-Jet metering flap -> inlet manifold -> big smile!

That way you control the throttle BEFORE the metering flap meaning that any boost that's wasted doesn't affect the amount of fuel the flap sends into the engine. If you kept the throttle in the stock position with the G60 style waste valve on it then you'd permanently be running rich as the air going through the metering flap would also include the air being vented to atmosphere...

Does that make sense, or have I just thought up a load of crap?!?

I wouldn't be doing it on Kjet too much bother. Far simpler to go for proper management.

Sealing the airbox so the pressure doesn't leak out is a snag that comes to my mind. Ford got away with it on the RS Turbo, might be worth a look for inspiration??

Gavin

h100vw, that's the way I was thinking too...

If sticking with K-Jet, I'd probably go for either an RS turbo or Porsche 924 metering head too as IIRC they're set up to cope with more airflow through them than the KR's one...

Otherwise, Mega squirt management (nice and cheap and easy to mess with/setup) with some modified injector seats and electronic injectors and an inlet tract setup similar to a G60s would be the way I'd go... 8)

really determined to stick with k-jet purely for cost.Was guna put the charger inlet pipe to meterhead,then outlet to throttlebody but was concerned if the charger was sucking on tickover,it would suck the flap up and cause engine to flood rather than using the isv to idle? Not that clued up on chargers so keep the ideas comin!

Sounds like an interesting conversion. Hope you get on ok mate, I cant really give you any advice coz I know fcuk all about chargers :roll: