Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

[No Longer] Stuck in Wiltshire [Crank Sprocket Sheared]

New Info:

Took the wheel off, arch linings out etc and looking straight at the bottom pulley when the motor is running the bottom pulley seems to be wiggling a bit (I'm going to take a video tomorrow) - now i dont think that is a very good sign.

TDC on number one cylinder puts the rotor arm in line with the notch on the dizzy only if its rotated all the way clockwise (the dizzy). The timing mark on the cam pulley is nowhere near aligned (about 30 degrees before the mark on the cam casing) when #1 is at TDC

I know most of you are at e38 but I;d appreciate any prognoses you may have when you get back :lol:

Could be the crank pulley has spun a bit if the timing is that far out. I am not at e38 til sunday. So feel free to PM me Cole.

Gavin

Got the car up on the axle stands yesterday and on Gavin's advice, took the crank pulley and sprocket off - (had to pull em off together as some berk had rounded off all the allen bolts on the pulley).

As expected, the key has sheared on the sprocket, only problem being the crank is not looking too hot either (see pics). I'm thinking that with a new sprocket, bolt and washer it should still be a pretty snug fit and nowt to worry about - what do you guys think?

I'm assuming that if the end of the crank is too damaged, I''m looking at replacing that (ouch)

EDIT - some good news though, thought this would be a good time to take the TB off and knife edge it while the C is off the road. Took the feed off it and voila it had already been done - the power of positive thinking eh? :wink:

Cole, That crank'll be OK. Mine was a bit like that, it's still running strong. That bottom pulley is just how mine came off. No key at all.

There is a fella in the states that drills the pulley and crank to pin the 2 together. He is called 'fastbunny' on vwvortex.com.

If it were my car I'd stick it back together with a new belt on and 4 new allen bolts. Then forget it ever happened.

Gavin

If it were my car I'd stick it back together with a new belt on and 4 new allen bolts. Then forget it ever happened.

Sounds good to me boss :D

I figured that it should be ok. Thanks again for all your help.

I'll be buying the beers at e38 '06!!

Glad you got it sorted cole, but as for the TB knife edge you should find that came as standard on the valvers.