Sign in to follow this  
jhanlon

leaking radiator on VR6

Anyone have any advice re leaking radiators? My coolant leak has been traced to a hole in the radiator when pressure tested. Having spent a fortune getting car up to date I only want to replace it if this really is the only option (quoted £200 fitted). What about Radweld? Or something similar? I don't want to compromise any part of the cooling system if it's not up to the job.

Yeah snap - just replace it.

Radweld will never be a permanent fix and can potentially lead to problems as well.

Radweld is what you put in cars to get them through the next 2 months when you're trying to sell the car. Ahem .. if you happen to be an east end car trader that is. It's no more a long term solution than sticking plasters. Why do a bodge job when it sounds like you're serious about the car?

As a side note, it appears someone radwelded my radiator up about 4 years ago (the radiator was then replaced by the car's next owner), and despite numerous coolant flushes, the coolant still goes nasty brown colour within two days of fitting.

Not good.

cheers guys - a very quick and resounding thumbs down for Radweld then. Someone has offered to solder it for me but I can't see that being any better and they want me to bring it to 'em. New rad it is then. Quote breaks down at £140 for the part plus an hour's labour. Stealers of course want more.

buy one from your local scrappy and fit it yourself. Nice and cheap, plus they usually have a 1year guarentee so they will swap it if its broken.