Sign in to follow this  
Blair

TDI PD150 - engine over-stressed?

I've had a couple of people tell me - rightly or wrongly - that the TDI PD150 engine is "over-stressed" and that the PD130 is a far better, more reliable unit.

Does anyone actually KNOW anything about this?

My g/f has the Ibiza TDI with the 130 engine, but I prefer the characteristics of the PD150 in the Golf/Leon - it doesn't have the huge mid-range "shove" of the 130, but has a more linear character and drives more like a petrol car.

I'm currently looking for a newer car and the shortlist is probably the Golf IV 4Motion or PD150 (Anniversary if I can find one!). I don't want the PD150 if it's going to be a pain in the arse and always at the dealers though...

Anyone had any experiences of the PD150 on a long-term basis?

Try asking on the UKMK1Vs forum.....

I've never heard the 150 is 'over stressed' but VW did admit the 150 was the limit of what they were prepared to take the 1.9 out to....and then they moved onto the 2.0

If you want an over-stressed engine....read M3 CSL....

I'd get the 4Mo personally....

The 4Mo is definitely where the heart is Kev :)

The 14p a mile work pays is what makes the PD150 more attractive though! As long as fuel stops at 90p a litre or work coughs up a bit more on the mileage rate, that's pretty much spot-on for just paying for the petrol on a 4Motion. 28mpg seems to be the norm...

Funny you should mention the UKMKIV - that's the second time today someone has mentioned it, prior to that I had no idea it existed. Jim PM'ed me to tell me about a couple of 4Motions on there.

And as for the Leon TDI Cupra - I can see why he likes it. I test drove one, very good fun, not stunningly quick but probably on a par with my G60 I suppose. What got it crossed off the shortlist was that I then drove a 4Motion back-to-back; it really did highlight the differences in cabin quality between the two cars. Maybe I'm getting old, but I want something a bit "plusher". I tested a Golf V TDI140 yesterday, and the Mk4 interior is still a class above that.

I know exactly what you mean about Cupras Blair. My mate had a brand new Cupra R and I really did not understand what the fuss was about. The ride on 18s was terrible, the cabin was rattley (constantly in the dealer to sort that, or try to at least) and it was boomy at anything over idle. He only got 11K for it 2 years later when he flogged it.... not one of his wiser car buying moves. He's got a 530d now and that is brilliant! I'd have that over a Cupra R any day....and he agrees.

My VR was far more refined and smoother than the Cupra by comparison, and it's 10 years older. And that was before I went to town with the dynamatting. It also kept up in the twisties and in a straight line easily.... here's to progress, eh?

Anyway, the 4Mo..... For me, the creamy V6 smoothness or the agricultural TDI unit? No comparison! I'm sorry but the 1.9 TDI is seriously old and unrefined as far as modern diesels go now..... I know my mate's BM is a £30K car but you simply don't even know you're in a diesel! The peaky power of the VAG TDIs soon wears off aswell....

My mates Leon is very refined and comfortable on a long run to be honest. Certainly the TDIs gear ratios make for very lazy cruising.

It's a matter of taste I suppose, I've always liked BMWs but went in a 320 TD the other day and I actually prefer the Leon.

Well when you have the option of running a BMW 530D the, VW TDI will seem like a piece of crapola. But its worth taking it on its own merits. In price bracket that it sits in, its a pretty impressive offering. Especially in the 2nd hand market. I think, for example, £6,000 for my GT TDI was a good deal.. great standard equipment and comfort levels!

I wouldn't ever consider owning a similarly powered petrol engine now having owned a diesel quite frankly.. there is just no point. The diesel has great punch, and great economy.. and greater resale value too.

And apart from a bit of rattlyness at idle when cold, I don't really think they are that agricultural! On the motorway, in 6th at 80MPH or so, the engine is exceptionally quiet.. can quite happily have a conversation with other passengers without having to raise your voice.. unlike in all the other cars i've owned! :)

I do get on with you Kev.. but, when it comes to the VW TDI discussion, I can see were going to be at a bit of a stalemate ;)

My mates Leon is very refined and comfortable on a long run to be honest. Certainly the TDIs gear ratios make for very lazy cruising.

It's a matter of taste I suppose, I've always liked BMWs but went in a 320 TD the other day and I actually prefer the Leon.

chalk n cheese compared to a 330d tho

Yeah...creamy is the right word for the 4Motion :)

I think the 1.9 TDI gets a bit of unfair press. It's not that bad at all - as I said, the g/f has the 130 in her Ibiza, and other than at idle it's fine. Idle is a bit rattly, but when I'm lucky enough to get behind the wheel I don't spend much time idling - the mid-range punch is a real grin-inducer :)

And I agree about the interiors - the interior on the Corrado is better than the Leon. My mate has a Cupra (the 180 version) and although it's only 2 years old the lower dash and centre console are looking a bit ropey already. And I really can't bring myself to like the silver plastic trim on the centre console.

My g/f's Ibiza actually has a better interior. I think it has the climate controls from the Golf (rotary knobs, rather than the cheap-looking control unit in my mate's Leon in silver plastic with buttons).

I've been really impressed with the way the interior of my G60 has held up over 6.5 years, OK it's picked up the odd scuff and stain on the carpet (£75 valet tomorrow to sort that!) but it's still solid and still looks good.

I just hope I find the seats in the MkIV as comfortable as those in the Corrado.

The leather ones are mate. I went to Bradford and back (about 350 round trip for me) in a MK4 with leather and they were excellent. I've never had a problem with any VW seats to be honest!

Ah - my old Mk1 seats were nice and grippy but a long journey wasn't much fun in them :)

Still - nice to have an excuse to splash the cash on securing leather ;)

I don't think the 150PD unit is over stressed but I think it runs a bit more boost than a 130. (The 160 unit in the Ibiza is 1.55) As much as I love my VR I think for my 100mile a day commute, a 6 speed 130/150 Leon would be better, but also try a Bora! I have been driving the MK5 140 at work and it is nice, very linear due to 16V head and apparently a remapped one is easily as quick as the 2.0T. If economy is an issue I would say get the 150, especially if it's your money as second hand values you will save, then remap it and have some fun.

What I really want tho is the 330CD, ah well, wishful thinking.

Funny you mention the Mk5 TDI 140 - I tested one yesterday. Nice enough - 3 door, met blue, leather interior BUT in a very dull slate grey, just like the plastics. A bit un-inspiring.

It was quick enough, but no road-burner. Nice and linear, as you say. It just doesn't feel as special inside as the Mk4, no matter how "sensible" an option it is.

Depends if they come back with a better "family discount" deal - originally they offered just £500 off the forecourt price of £17K!!! It's an 05 in met blue, which is £17,200 list - add £1500 for the leather and £200 for the sunroof and OK, it's a 19K car, but it's got 10K miles on the clock from being a demo/dealer principal car.

Jesus.. thats expensive. You're square into decent R32 territory there!

Exactly Jim....exactly! :)

And there's NO contest when you start looking at it that way ;)

If they came down to 15,500 I'd consider it - being sensible. Otherwise no way!

Go to a car supermarket instead!

I'd rather get the GTI for a grand extra than a £19K diesel!

I'm sorry but there's just no incentive for diesel for me and there won't be whilst diesel costs more than unleaded. Diesel for me would have to be from a performance benefit and currently only the VW V10, Audi's 4.2 and Bimmer's 330 twin turbo D come close to being a decent performance alternative to an equivalent petrol engine.... and I ain't talking about 'keeping up with a petrol', but beating it quite comprehensively under ALL driving conditions.....

Virgin Cars will do you a MK5 Golf 2.0 GT TDI 5dr DSG for £17,399... :)

Its fair enough Kev.. as you say, fuel economy is not an issue for you.. but after the month I put over £200 of fuel in my G60, and didn't even leave the West Midlands I decided enough was enough. Just made no sense to keep forcing my G60 into the joy of Coventry traffic on a daily basis. No good for the engine and no good for my wallet!

I should just point out that I do not have 19K to spend on a car!!! :)

The £16.5K Mk5 was a bit out of budget itself...

Also check out the insurace wrt the 130-150 as I believe the grouping is quite a bit higher.

A couple of mags have said that the 150 is great but the 130 is a better all round package comparing mpg against performance.

4mo or 150PD....150PD!

Yea, don't take it, far better deals out there, I'm sure there must be some cheapish 150 Leon's knocking about on the forecourts, they look nicer aswell.

I can't say I really like the MK5 that much either, infact the build is good but no better than a mk4 as was suggested.

I am most intrigued by the 2.0 TDCI Focus tho.

after the month I put over £200 of fuel in my G60, and didn't even leave the West Midlands

:lol: Blinkin eck Jim, were you drinking it aswell as the car? :lol:

I don't really pay attention to fuel economy tbh, which I suppose is reflected in my choice of car and then charging it!

When diesels get to 100bhp per litre and rev like a petrol, but still have the torque advantage....then I'll consider it, even if it does 5mpg!

Um.. well a Revo'd PD150 will do 190BHP and 300lb/ft of torque.. and having been in an unchipped one which pulls strongly all the way round to the redline... i'd say it matches your crtieria there Mr Hayward. Well.. thats damn close to 100bhp per litre anyway.

Don't even sound like a diesel when you boot it either. Though you do get a nice plume of smoke out of the exhaust ;)

And as for the G60 / fuel thing.. just did a lot of short journeys that month, and sitting with the engine running. Certainly not the G60's strong point that I gotta say.

Pah! If I spend under £300 a month that is a good month for me! LOL.

Well Diesel engines will prob be approaching 90bhp per litre very soon and if you include twin turbos then very achievable, I personally love both for different reaons but to get a diesel as exciting as planting your foot in a VR up to the redline you have to go into 330D territory.

LOL.... sorry bud, driven such a machine and the power band was still too peaky I thought and I'm just not a fan of the 1900. I used to be, but the game has moved on a lot since.....