Sign in to follow this  
Blair

TDI PD150 - engine over-stressed?

It seems to be the staple diet around here, particularly if someone mentions G60 vs VR6....

....Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...........!!!!!!!!! :D

No need to apologise Jim, there's nothing wrong with a bit of friendly debate.

Anyway, I started it with my original question really, didn't I? :)

How about a tri-fuel engine? Gas for cheapness, dieself for torque and petrol for high rpm bite! Oh and why not make it supercharged and turbo charged like the Lancia Delta Intergrale S4 whilst you're there?!! :lol: Should make a nice challenge for any budding engineers out there!

I had thought about that myself before Kev :)

3 cylinders of each - you'd probably need a staggered V formation to make it smooth. But remember that the diesel would limit the revs - the petrol engine would never get to shine, because it would be shut off when the diesel was about to explode.

Hmmm...or how about a single block with effectively two engines...a set of gears between the diesel bank and the main crank to allow for the higher revving petrol engine (so the petrol is doing 6500rpm whilst the diesel is doing 4500rpm) and Bob is, if not married to, at least boning your aunt on a regular basis :)

I think we need an autmotive engineering PhD student to build one :D

My thoughts were of variable compression ratio (which does actually exist) and some way of metering and injecting 3 different fuels! The gas and petrol can use the same injectors, but you'd also need seperate diesel injectors, LOL!

Variable compression ratio never caught on, for some reason. Probably too expensive. But Saab got 250 reliable bhp out of a light-pressure turbo-ed 1.6 block!

Can you imagine remapping a tri-fuel car?!?

Virgin Cars will do you a MK5 Golf 2.0 GT TDI 5dr DSG for £17,399... :)

i can do better than that.............get a P/T job at Europcar or any other VAG Owned company.............i can lease a GT 140 TDi Golf for .............£120 per month with a new one every 9 months.......and all i have to pay on top of that is insurance(only 2 companies are approved for it tho) and fuel :D

Leasing is very attractive, especially at rates like that.. but i'd hate just not actually owning the car.

I know what you mean Jim...but then zero depreciation has its benefits... :)

Now if only I could get a rate like that!!!!

Rodders, any chance you could tell them I'm your cousin? :D

OK- so what is the normal rate for a 140PD? and for that matter, does anyone know of any good lease deals out there generally speakig?

It is nice to own your own car, but like yuo say the benefits of 0 depreciation, and not worrying about ragging the nuts off it kind of helps too.

Jim, never knew you came over to the sooty-side!! :lol:

I now own a SEAT Ibiza Cupra TDi 160bhp, which is basically a 150 unit with a FMIC and larger air intake, giving an extra 10bhp. Its now REVO'd and is running around 200bhp and about 310lbs/ft of torque 8)

The only thing I miss owning a Diesel is the fact that even a 1.0 petrol can beat you off the line, theres just too much torque coming at once to get a good start :cry: TDi's are brilliant mid-range, but crap 0-60, which is irrelevant nowadays anyway.

I took my Cupra to Santa Pod at the weekend, heat soak (26*C!!) and impossible to control wheel-spinning starts meant the best 1/4 mile time I could muster was 14.8 seconds :(

There were problems with some early 150PD's and failing PD injectors after about 100,000 miles, but modified ones were introduced years ago, so i'm not worried! :lol:

Yeah, i'm over to the sooty side.. but already missing the Corrado. They are great machines and the fuel economy is terrific.. but they sure aren't much fun to drive.

Thats more a problem with the Golf 4 than the engine tbh :( Thankfully SEAT spent allot of time and money getting mine right, no one in the VAG group seemed to get the Golf 4 platform handling right, even the new TT Quattro Sport still ain't 100%

The good news is the S3 upper and lower strut braces fit onto the MK4 Golf and they only cost about £75.00 for the set :D This will tighten things up a bit, but if you want your handling totally sorted you'll need to look at uprated springs/dampers :(

And isn't that just the problem.. i'm just afraid of modifying the car in any real way because reselling it becomes a nightmare, and as far as i'm concerned its not the kind of car I want to be owning for years and years. So i'm tempted to just put up with the boredum factor and sell it on as your generic FVWSH ex-rep MK4 TDI and then get a car I actually care about.. again..

;)

We'll see.. i'm kinda torn because as you say, the MK4 can be made to handle.. and with some good wheels and a few little touches they look triffic. Gaaaah.. its all too confusing.

So i'm tempted to just put up with the boredum factor and sell it on as your generic FVWSH ex-rep MK4 TDI and then get a car I actually care about.. again..

LOL, once you have the Corrado bug....

Nelson makes me laugh, his car is fantastic, sooo much power there but he drives my C TDi, nearly 100bhp down on his and spends the next 2 days begging me to sell it... Now his engine in a C, now your talking!

Agreed. There is no explanation for it. Everyone who has owned one either talks about getting another, or goes misty eyed and nostalgic as soon as someone mentions one. I don't know what it is..

I'd personally really like to hear what the Karmann guys have to say about the Corrado.. whether they were just as enamoured and attached to it, and whether they still feel the same way about it after all these years..

you considered just remapping/chipping you golf Jim? should yield some good results being a pd and easily removable when you sell.

Yeah.. I thought about it but.. just not sure I wanna spend the money on the Golf.. worried about the additional strain on the PD115 unit and the increase in smoke. It already puthers the stuff a bit when you gun it.. I don't want to give any of you guys any more excuses to take the piss out of me by making it even smokier ;)

I think his points still valid though, whats the point if the handling isn't up to it :(

Heres mine btw :)

cupra.jpg

You think yours smokes Jim, you want to see mine! :lol: