Sign in to follow this  
StormchargedVR6

Baffled sump

Is anyone using a alloy baffled sump, i've been reading on the Clubvr6 site,they do sound a good idea. If there was enough interest in may a group buy as clubvr6 are doing. :)

The V6 4 Motion sump is alloy, finned and I think baffled too. VW will have thought about the fragility of hitting them and indeed I've seen a 4 mo sump that clouted the floor and it just gouged a chunk out of it. Didn't crack.

The other benefit is an extra litre oil capacity to help cooling (more oil in the sump = more heat absorbed and dissipated).

I think they come in at around the £90 mark and are apparently a direct fit to the VR, but seek clarification on that first.

If you just want a baffle in your standard sump, there are options. Baffled doesn't assume alloy as Mr Charged implied. Baffling is just partitioning the sump to make sure the oil pick up has a constant supply during hard cornering.

You can also get windage trays to stop the crank slapping the oil too.....

Loads of options.....

My only issue with alloy sumps is that they are not thermostat controlled, you could end in a situation where you are over cooling the oil in the winter.

Kev is right about baffles though - just a bit of metal accross the width of the sump with some holes in it to allow flow but not too quickly would do it.

The reason alloy sumps are more prone to cracking is the way they are made, alluminum is just as flexible as steel if not more so but as the steel sumps are pressed from a sheet and the alloy ones are cast this makes them weaker.

For a single VR6 scraper to the UK the cost would be list price, i.e. $49.95 + $10 shipping via USPS Air Mail Parcel Post.

Here is a discount schedule for larger orders and freight is additional (we would charge actual shipping cost). All items are sold FOB our dock.

2 scrapers 10% discount off list

3-9 scrapers 20% discount "

10-19 scrapers 30% discount "

20 plus 40% discount "

Anyone interested?

Have you seen the scraper MPG? I think a watch of that explains everything if someone is thinking, WTF?

I must admit, I find the claims of increased power a little far fetched tbh, but it'll stop frothing and windage....

Had a reply already, they dont have any other vr products other than the scraper just now, but I get the impression windage trays are planned for the future.

Will see what the interest in the scrapers is like here, then open a new thread in GB's if theres a few.

Fitting looks fairly easy as well, though I think it bolts to the main bearings on the vr so it will all need torqued up correctly.

vr6%20scraper%20installed%20b.jpg

Put me down for one please Joe. Obviously these work as this guy only makes them on the request from what I gather on his site....

I'm a little clueless on this subject, even after some good reading :oops:

Basically, with the scraper and R32 oil pan, would I be fine for oil starvation and foaming?

Cheers