Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

Poor pick-up from closed throttle

Since the VR was sitting around for 2 weeks whilst I was away, it seems that the pick up from closed throttle to small opening has become ragged. The idle is also a bit irregular and surges a little, more than it used to, and often very nearly stalls. Trickling through traffic is marked by lurching from closed to open throttle.

It sounds like TPS trouble - am I on the right track here?

What are the solutions? Presumably a new TPS ultimately, or is a Basic Settings the first step? Or both? I haven't disconnected the battery or anything to upset the ECU

(And compared to the TDI which I hired on holiday, the low revs torque is poo !!)

Best wishes

RB

ISV?

How did the battery not die after two weeks of inactivity, anyway?? Mine is usually pancake-like after a fortnight..

How do you clean the ISV? Where abouts is it in the engine? I started having similar problems today.

Cheers

Stan

A good squirt with some brake cleaner. I follow that with some WD. Hunt around the air pipes that bypass the TB.

Gavin

A set of new NGK plugs and a quick clean of the ISV, and we're back to normal.

Best wishes

RB

did you reset the ECU?

did you reset the ECU?

No, it didn't seem necessary. It is now running very smoothly; this morning is cold and damp and the performance is especially good.

Incidentally, I bought the NGK plugs from http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk a terrific service. They were on my doorstep 18 hours after I ordered them on the net. 6 plugs for about £23 including delivery.

Best wishes

RB

OK, as Im home in deepest darkest Wales :) I dont have a manual to hand. Which is the ISV? Sorry for being a dunce :(

It's on the middle back of the engine under the back engine cover between the secondary water pump on the nearside corner back and the throttle body on the off-side. Thick stubbly thing with two rubber air hoses and one electrical connection.