Sign in to follow this  
CorradoWannabe

200K + Mileage N-reg VR6

There's an N-reg VR6 Storm that i am interested in but the issue is the millage. The cost of the car is adjusted to reflect this - and my usage will be low - but the mileage is 225,000.

Its got a full VW S/H and claims to have been regularly serviced and well looked after. I've read over the Corrado buying guide - my question are:

1. If looked after can the VR6 engine happily run to mileage over 250k?

2. What specific checks (if any) should be done on a high mileage VR6 engine?

3. Which engine parts are likely to need replacing first and how expensive are these typically?

From what ive read the timing chain and guides and tensioners should be given particular attention - any other tips appreciated!

Firstly, have a search, second look at the buying guide and checklist, third Andi has a 250k miler VR... ;)

As long as you have a good look through the servicing to see what has been done when there is no reason that anything will need doing. However to get the car back to an as new state don't neglect the suspension and bushes, it will feel lousy if they haven't been changed since new.

People continue to be overly twitchy about high mileage cars and it is not really an issue these days with the mechanics as long it has been properly maintained.

Worst case you can always source a new engine from a scrapper with lower mileage.

I'm not quite 250k miles, dinkus, but thanks anyway!

You know what, the VR engine is a tank.

Mileage is irrelevant if its been looked after.

I'm more wary of 40k 10-year old cars, 'cos their servicing is more likely to be irregular.

Suspension will still need doing on aged car, etc.

I'm on original chains, with no real sign of wear.

Car gets oil+filter changes every 4-5k miles and I fix what breaks :)

Highest mileage VR engine I've seen was 320k in a highline Golf, iirc...

What I'm trying to say is, the checks shouldn't really change. There isn't anything really that miles brings to a car faster than it aging normally anyway. Yes, obviously check the engine - but you'd do that regardless of mileage, as its the TLC and servicing its received that depends on the QUALITY of car you'll be buying.

You can't get a car to 225k miles in 8 years without looking after it.

You could, however, get it to just 40k miles without a care in the world...

Thanks for the advice guys - based upon your comments i went to see the car and ended up buying it too! Its a 1995 VR6 Storm in Green - and i picked it up for £2,500 due to the millage. I hope it holds up ok - looks very well looked after.

Are you certain its a Storm? Cream leather, Storm badging and BBS Solitudes? Regardless of that mileage, you got an absolute bargain..

Pretty sure its a storm [if not its got the storm spec + badges - so almost the same thing!] Its got all the storm badging, the biege leathers, the colour - the wheels have been changed from the BBS solutiudes - and it comes up as a VR6 storm accoding to DVLA using the number plate etc - and its one of those cars that comes with ALL the reciepts etc - i still have the original sale documents with the agents name + number who first sold the car.

At this thread:

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28831

i have a link to the ebay ad so you can have a poke around there till i get some pics up.

Sounds like a bit of a bargain then :D

I shall lock this up and we can continue in your other thread :)