Sign in to follow this  
Spykee

Possible Turbo & Supercharged Golf coming out!!!!

Aye, PDs are turbo though, so easier to get gains from. You just whack the boost up. As Mat says, diesels are all about getting as much air in as possible, squirt fuel in, get it out. And nothing else. There's no idle stabilising to worry about, part and full throttle enrichment, pinking, timing, nothing.....

Not quite as basic as a 2 stroke engine (much more efficient, but unrefined) but not far off!

I've often said to people proclaiming how amazingly powerful their ST TDCi HDi CTDi IDTc DtCiI 1.9 turbo diesel is are missing the point - it's got a TURBO. Without the turbo they would be more economical and PATHETICALLY PUNY... :)

Now, put a 1.9 TDi next to a Golf mk5 GTi (2.0 turbo) and the golf walks all over the TDi in performance, at all speeds, in all gears, in all respects. The only thing going FOR the TD is the economy.

OK- But there are times when it makes a lot of sense to get a derv, ie, say your about 19 and you want a decent car, with a limit of group 7 insurance, you can get a Saxo VTR, or you can get an Ibiza 130PD and remap it, I know what I'd get. I guess the point is, if your looking for something good on fuel, it's better to get a modern turbo diesel and remap it than a modern petrol, but it's not as big a difference as somepeople would have you believe.

What diesels do have is a robust feel. They always start (except when the Glow plugs are buggered), and they just feel chunky and cast from granite...and they idle rock solidly. None of the VRs lumpiness and variable performance.... but that's your petrol and derv diff's for ya....apples and oranges...