Sign in to follow this  
JT

pro's and con's to a 20vt corrado

what do we think to this, i was basically thinking today about the running costs of a good conversion on a corrado, are they gonna be the same as a vr or do we think it could be happy days....... :?:

MPG would be about the same as the VR if driven hard, possibly better if driven carefully. Insurance would be more expensive no doubt (modified car!), repairs would be just as likely (though a lot of VRs are reaching head/rebore time).

But then, there's a lot of petrol you can buy for the cost of a 20vt conversion! (In fact you could easily have your VR rebored and basically made new for the money.)

And that's ignoring the indefineable value of the VR6's character.

MPG would be about the same as the VR if driven hard, possibly better if driven carefully. Insurance would be more expensive no doubt (modified car!), repairs would be just as likely (though a lot of VRs are reaching head/rebore time).

But then, there's a lot of petrol you can buy for the cost of a 20vt conversion! (In fact you could easily have your VR rebored and basically made new for the money.)

Bollocks to it, forced induction is the way forward like :)

Can't really see a down side to a 20vt......

(just do the conversion on a lowly 16v/8v not a VR6 or G60)

Bollocks to it, forced induction is the way forward like :)

I'd much much MUCH rather have the grunty noise of the VR6 than a 1.8T.. everytime I drive a VR6, it makes me insides go all tingly as the low end bellow of that engine starts building up. Awesome.

I knew someone who had a G60 and went out and bought a used Audi TT Turbo, I was at his house buying a part from him and he asked if I would take him out in the C.

He was gutted that his new purchase sounded poor compared to my VR, and also gutted that my 10 year old C was quicker!

I can't think of any car that sounds as powerful as the VR, esp. with a K&N filter and Schrick wacked on. It never sounds like it's struggling.

So yeah I think this positive (however shallow) is the mother of all positives. :)

having had 2 c vr's and currently running a mk3 vr i can certainly vouch for the love of the noise responce and silky smooth delivery, but i was just weighing up onwing a c with a decent conv. against a vr, as i can't seem to break the c pull but am willing to admit to myselyf that i can't afford to run a vr with the amount of miles i do..... as it goes once i sell my mk3 i'm gonna go sensible for a while and then treat myself to a westy or something alike... cheers for all the comments guys

Pro's -better MPG (if driven right.. 40mpg!), more reliable, good tuning potential, lots of engines around, sound like a scooby with 2.5" + exhaust, faster than a VR if you go for larger bhp versions or chip it, something a bit different ...

Con's, expensive conversion, bhp potential = lots of £££, don't sound like a VR,...

always fancied the 18t conversion myself.

+points=easily tuned,very strong internals, all steel bottom end as im led to beleive?and rung block! safe 300 bhp on standard internals etc etc

- points= still a pricy conversion! not easy for diy,ers lots of extra components eg managment!

thinking about the 24v vr myself! somethin another forum member suggested?