Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

that'll be broken then...

well from what i could see inside it all looked ok, but 'something' made a hole in there, so i'm guessing the internals didnt escape without at least a little damage...

How did you manage the hole? While off the car I assume?

It'll take 5 minutes to wack it on the car, try a cold start, if it idles and drives OK, then bob's your uncle.

i've no idea TBH, i just changed the cambelt tensioner and took the airbox/maf out for a bit more room, looked in the end and there was the hole! its on the manifold side, which is a bit odd since its the oposite direction to the airflow... looks like someones stuck their finger in it at some point.

still idles and drives ok, so hopfully its alright.

Believe me mate if the wire/plate (whichever one you have) is even slightly damaged you would know! My car would hardly run when started from cold. The idle was bad and on a run it would jerk.

VAG-COM will detect if there is any damage, it won't be receiving proper data if a bit is broken or missing.

You say it made your car jerk?????

That could be the answer to my problem. My MFA resets itself everytime ignition is turned off (But everything does work). Check fuses and theyre all fine. My G60 jsut started jerking one day. more noticable in traffic in 2nd gear, the car will start jerking but will go once clutch is down (ive ruled out a clutch problem, but it COULD still be that but dont know what exactly). Also if im traveling at a constant speed of 40mph i can feel the car jerking very slightly. Idle is terrible too.

Could these symptoms suggest MFA malfunction? or something else?

If the MAF wire/plate is broken in any way or not self cleaning on turn off, then it won't do it's job properly. Bad idling is normally a give away, and very bad idling/running on a cold start.

Critical Mass, it could be the idle control valve in your situation.

Best bet is see if someone can lend you their MAF for 5 mins for a test run.

Your not confusing the MFA with the MAF?

Chris, PM your address and I'll post you a new gauze FOC.

If the platinum wire is still in once, peice the MAF is fine.

To double check, probe the solid red wire in the MAF loom with a meter and the voltage should be 1v at idle and rise up to 3 or 4 as you rev it. If those conditions are true, the MAF is sound and Nosky probably put his fingers through it when he had it :lol:

thanks kev, pm on its way to you.

nosky-chris did that test on the MAF and it was showing those voltages, so it does appear to be working properly. the jerking (of the car! ;)) seems to have gone, although I'm not sure its related to anything we fiddled with. hopefully its gone for good, but I've probably just done a murry walker... I know i'm coming off as a hypocondriac-by-proxy and maybe just a little paranoid :rolleyes:

I think i maybe confusing MFA with MAF, whats the MAF. I dont know anyone else with a corrado so cant really lend one of someone. So youre saying the jerking could be the MAF not the MFA? where is the MAF found?

MFA is the dash computer thing, MAF is part of the air intake system (behind the airbox on a VR, not sure about a g60) and measures the airflow into the engine, adjusting fuel accordingly - in basic terms at least! look for something that from the outside looks like a normal air intake pipe, but has a plug connector on it. once its off it has gauze at either end (see pic) and something in the middle that sort of looks like a lightbulb element.

ah right cheers. So its the MAF that could possibly causing the jerking of my car? What pic you saying have a look at?

Nice corrado mate. Wanted a silver one myself. Ended up getting a inca blue G60.

the first pic in this post shows one end of the MAF. I'm no g60 expert, but i'd do as stormVR6 says first and check your ISV, they quite often need cleaning out if they've not been done before and they're MUCH cheaper to replace (if needed) than the MAF. do a search for g60 ISV and you're bound to turn up some things to try.