Sign in to follow this  
Fez

Gearbox problems

My G60 is stuck in 2nd gear. Anyone else had the same/similar problem with their box??? or does anyone know what the problem is??

I think that the gear selector is stuck, any other ideas???

mine sticks in first and reverse... I think its funny when I try to get on the highway (fast road for the US) and I cant get out of first, just FYI I drive my car like a bat flies out of hell so thats why mine is broken all the time, this is the 2nd one I've been through too... oh well what can you do... oh yeah you can get it out by getting to decent revs and pulling hard... or just playing with it while moving... =-) trust me it will get out, yes it is the shifter getting lodged on something (2nd gear syncro) I think

nah its rammed in there good and proper.

Dont really wanna fork out aload of cash to get it sorted, gutted as i swapped my MK1 Golf cab for it :(

You could try disconnecting the cables (in case its them jammed) and see if you can disengage the gear by hand. Worth a go.

check your shifter mechanism... =-/ see if there is a BIG spring popped out of a hole on the actuator thing, mine locked in 5th on the freeway once from this...

Nah just had the AA out and the gearbox is f**ked good and proper.

Was talking the AA bloke and he seemed to know his s**t. He said that a 6 speed VR6 box should fit the G60.

Does anyone know if it will and if it would be any good?

He said that a 6 speed VR6 box should fit the G60.

I don't think it's quite that simple. You'll need to lift the drive shafts and hubs from the 6 speed donor.

Same for a standard VR6 5 speeder as well.

Yep, both above correct... custom driveshafts would be needed as VR ones are longer than G60's anyway plus if it's an O2M box you'd need a custom mount. Unless you have a spare grand or so kicking about i'd try and sort the one you've got or get a second hand one.

Vince at Stealth Racing is yer man for 02A gearboxes

wud u say its better to buy a recon box or go for the cheap and cheerful 2nd hander?

I just got a 2nd hander cause my car blew out 2nd gear... =-)

gonna have it checked out just to make sure but its an AGC from a passat so that means I will hopefully reach 60 in second gear!

wud u say its better to buy a recon box or go for the cheap and cheerful 2nd hander?
Recon box = better but more expensive.