Sign in to follow this  
munkay

The Dark Side

Been really tempted by a Rev 3 MR2 GT Turbo of late.

Probably the only other car I would consider changing my G60 for in the price range.

Typical too as a 1993 50k mile Black GT-Tbar leather etc.. just sold this weekend 20 miles down the road for 2400!

I know I would regret selling the Corrado but the thought of making a 300bhp mr2 is very tempting

What's your opinion on them?

Have you seen the first message in this thread?

Seem pretty capable in a straight line :shock: but personally can't comment on the handling.

Presumably you're not bothered by lack of boot/back seats???

awesome machine. my mate has a black mr2 turbo, lowered80mm and 18's running 280 bhp.

handling in the wets a bit tricky though. accelerations like nothing I've been in.

The 2 seat thign doesn't bother me at all, I kinda see it as a plus :)

Haven't driven one yet but am going to look at a few this week I think.

I used to have a E36 320 so was used to the rwd in that, all though I imagine the power the tubo puts out could mean potential tree wrappage.

They just seem to have such a good reliabilty record and so cheap and easy to mod.

Whats the top end acceleration like? (from 70mph upwards)

I can't comment on how good the MR2 is having never driven one, but one thing I would miss is the VW social scene. I have always had VW's and have got to know lots of cool people that share this same interest. They are also really handy when things go wrong or you need advice when modding your Corrado!

i Like the MR2's, i'd have one, there's a nice one goign about up here, mint, black, lowered with lenso's that look like BBS RK II's. Very nice.

You want one? Go for it!

Munkay / Dubster82

Check this out as its the spec of the fastest MR2 in Aberdeen. Its owned by a chap from Peterhead who works for the RAF. AFAIK it's a Veilside Kitted MR2 Mark II GLIMITED twin entry turbo model with the following extras and is putting out around 300 BHP and does 12.5 standing quarters

It has:

HKS induction kit, super sound blow off valve.

TRD Dials, delimeter chip and fuel controller

Greddy Gauges and Dual Stage Solenoids (low - hi boost...low 10psi hi 18psi, fully adjustable for more boost if needed)

Blits Intercooler

Hyabusa super light weight perfomance racing exhaust (full system)

What else engine wise...erm?...probably missed sumthin, but to be honest my priority is the exterior looks

Needs a rechip - Greddy / APEXI ?

Oh and BTW I considered one before I bought my C and they are very easy to tune with 300BHP possible for around £1000. Very quick and good handling and quite different IMHO

300bhp would just be mental in such a wee car :)

The mod list isn't realy all that extensive to get him 300bhp so there is hope :) Apparently the engines can take a fair bit of boost increase very happily. I have just been filling my brain with info from the net over the last few days.

I haven't seen many MR2 turbo's going about Aberdeen, do all the turbos have twin exhausts?

I am really gutted I missed that one for 2400 as it sounded perfect.

Mind you, would needed to have sold corrado first anyway.

Don't suppose you know anybody looking to buy a G60 :)

MR2's are ok, but do you really want to give up your day job and become a hairdresser????????

"something for the weekend sir?"

jim

I haven't seen many MR2 turbo's going about Aberdeen, do all the turbos have twin exhausts?

no some of the standard ones have twin exhausts from the factory too

also bear in mind that ALL MR2 turbo's will be grey imports so parts can/will be pricier than the UK-supplied ones

you should also bear in mind too that £2k-£3k ones will probably be needing some cash spent on them as well

Gonna go for one around 4k i reckon

If I decide to change the Corrado and get a decent price for mine

Such a decision tho :/

i'd also get an insurance quote before buying one. As they are grey imports you'll find your insurance can be up to double what you would pay for a UK car 8)

Yeah was gonna do that tomorrow. Although I heard that elephant (who I currently have very good quote on for my C) will ensure them cheaper than a UK N/A

Could be b******s tho :)

I'll let you know tomorrow.

So anyone know what sorta comparison there is between a stage 4 G60 and mr2 turbo from 70 to 140 or whatever?

you think corrado parts are dear!!mate had a mk2 mr2 given him by his old boss which was smashed up,need mostly front end parts,plus suspension parts,which are dealer only,he had to pay £80 for 1 trackrod end,he bought some 2nd hand panels after searching for about 2 months,most of the mr2's in scrap yards were all front end damaged

down the road theres a plce called japvillage they only sell performace modded japs and they have a 450bhp mr2 with 2 shots of NOS each 180bhp shots add that sh*t up its mint and he wants 10k for it. i know it much but look at the power also has a 900bhp RX-7 best known as "the pink panther" and a 1200bhp supra without NOS its a lil showroom behind the woods but the cars are a must to see i think they're www is http://www.japvillage.com or .co.uk