Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Bodywork mop? Little more info, cost, etc..

Hello..

After posting in a few threads about the general tiredness of my MK4's paintwork, i've been advised to get the paintwork mopped. I've heard of the term but I have no idea what it means, whats involved, and what sort of costs would be involved.

Could anyone who knows a bit about this sort of thing just 'break it down' for me? :)

The problem is the entire car is just one enormous swirl - I think its been car washed all its life - in dull, low light it looks lovely and glossy - in bright sunlight its absolutely shocking!

I wasn't sure that a clay bar would sort that kind of thing out - i've taken to it with some Zymol, tried Meguiars scratchX and it just does bugger all... does make it even shinier, but doesnt touch the scratches.

I'd try the clay bar first, cheaper and works very well.

When a bodyshop mops the car they use an abrasive polish and polish off a fine layer of paintwork bringing the paintwork up to a nice smooth shine again taking out all the crap that has got engrained in it over the years.

However a work of warning if you have stonechips it can enlarge them quite significantly

I do have a very impressive array of stone chips, etc - so perhaps a paintwork mop would not be a good idea.

Wonder what a front end respray would cost :|

As far as I know its flattening the paint and buffing it back to a shine.

I had a black Car at if done correctly it does work.

I clay bar'red the Nugget and was very surprised the rubbish it removed

and by far the cheapest option and well worth a punt.

Also wouldnt a T cut and polish work ??

as long as its just a base coat and not a mettalic paint finish/two tone etc

chubbers

Its like a small ball of putty that you go over the paint with along with some kind of 'compound' - smoothes the paint, and pulls out all the bits of crap and grit that have got stuck in to it over the years - supposed to be really good but I feel i'm a biiit too lazy for it to be honest!

Go to your local McGueirs (can't spell today!!!!) stockist - and there it will be!

Or I think someone on here supplies it mail order!

Heres an eBay link (here) to help point out what you're looking for though if you wanna buy the proper kit! :)

Search for posts by Tomson on here - he sells Meguiars stuff at 10% discount to CF members :)

You can also buy the Meggy's clay bars in Halfords - £10.99 I believe.

The thing really is amazing and I can't recommend it enough to anyone considering a respray. Give a clay bar a go first and see if you still feel the same way.

If it works, then invest in some Swissol/Zymol et al wax and save yourself a considerable amount on a re-spray.

If the weather behaves this weekend, this could be a good time to tackle it then.. time to check out the long range forecast. Car is hugely overdue a wash so would be a good time to get down to Halfrauds and stock up on the stuff i've run out of!

Yeah, my C is going to be getting a clay-job and some expensive wax sometime before E38 (hopefully when the weather is nice!)

Hm.. forecast for Saturday looks good.. :)

I reckon a new chamois (as my other ones probably has loads of grit and crap in it now), clay barring, and a good going over with the Zymol cleaner wax should have it looking proper bo.. but still a Golf.. ;)

While your at it Jim, get the McGuiars Liquid Car Wax to go over it after the clay bar as is brilliant on black cars! (Unless the Zymol is really that good!)

I do like the Zymol but willing to give other products a try :)

Jim, If your car is a metallic (which i assume it is) then mopping wont be as effective because because the mopping take off a thin layer off the paint, but if you can imagine with metallics only the laquer gets cut not the base coat underneath so the colour of the primer still shows. But however if the scratch stonechips are filled with touch up paint and again gone over with laquer then mopped it would come up very well. It all depends on how badly chipped the bonnet is, sometimes it might be better to bite the bullet and get a respray done.

Jim, from what you posted before I think you said the car had been thru alot of car washes? If so I doubt the clay bar will will give you the results you're looking for. It'll certainly improve things, but if you want the paint as good as you can get it you'll have to get it mopped. Depends on how shiny you want your car to look I guess!

A good bodyshop will probably take around 2 hours to mop your car, maybe more if it's really bad. So the basic cost will be based on the hourly labour rate of the workshop.

As the others have said it's basically done by polishing the car with a rotating polishing head (of different materials, depending on finish) with a cutting compound like Farcela G3. This cuts the top surface of the lacquer away and so removes the layer with the scratches and swirls. The virgin surface you're left with is then perfect for applying a quality wax to seal and protect it. Done well the paint will look like glass.

Stone chips are not really a problem - as long as the polisher knows what they are doing! As Majik says if you carefully touch up the chip with a paint stick, then seal with a clear lacquer paint stick, the polishing process will help remove the excess around the chip. Done well the car will look alot better. If you want to do this leave as much time as you can before taking the car for the polish - the touch up paint will need some time to harden off.

There's an excellent bodyshop I can recommend down my way if you considering this. Or ask Vince @ Stealth about the place down the road from him - apparently he's very good too. Probably a bit closer for you too?

Jim also if you are using the zymol cleaner wax apply some meguiars liquid wax afterwards and i guarentee u be amazed