Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

hello - gearbox thingy broke *fixed*

hi , i lost moast gears and had a look under the bonnet to find this bit was broken - see pic - can you tell me what it is and what it does and iff poss mabe a part number - -- - - - the car is in an unsafe part of town so i need to try to get her going again :( many thanks , justin

No reason why you couldn't put it isn to 2nd gear by hand at the gearbox, de-clutch on engine start and then just drive it slowly away using the clutch and brakes as normal. You will just have to sit with your foot on the clutch pedal at junctions etc until home. Don't touch the gear stick at any time while doing this drive.

Not got the parts files with me, but I think this may require a new cable assembly. Don't remember seeing the end fitting separate.

The guy I sold my 2 litre Passat to did this, I looked on ETKA and the bit that goes on the gearbox is seperate to the cable IIRC.

He had swapped in the shifter mech and cables from another car and I think that he did up the 13mm nut too much and split the plastic with the other side of the bolt embedded in it.

Gavin

it's just the bit which attaches to the end of the cable which has the thread on it... I had to replace one on my first corrado (1.8 16V) quite a few years ago after over tightening it doing a clutch :oops:

IIRC it's not expensive... 8)

Not got a price but the number should be 1J0 711 256. Listed for model year letter 'N' onwards.

Check with VW though.

Gavin

I'd bet that's a dealer only part... It shouldn't be difficult to change it, but I can't remember exactly how you get the cable off the part... :|

Personally, I'd wait until the traffic dies down a bit and then do as RW1 suggests by putting it in 2nd by hand, starting it with the clutch in and limping home...

I'd bet that's a dealer only part... It shouldn't be difficult to change it, but I can't remember exactly how you get the cable off the part... :|

Personally, I'd wait until the traffic dies down a bit and then do as RW1 suggests by putting it in 2nd by hand, starting it with the clutch in and limping home...

you pull the plastic tab on the end of it up (where the thumb is in the pic) and the cable end slides off, they are the same as 91/92 onwards passats and probably mk3 golfs, early corrados without the shifter weight use a different fitting.

according to my old price list these are 40 quid plus vat from vag!!!

worth ringing a dealer though this must be different now, probably more :roll:

Second hand ones are often starting to crack or break up though.

Part no. 1J0 711 256, carrier lever, for cars after chassis no: 50-N-006 001

David.

i got the part from a vw garage and put it were the old one is :) took me 10 mins to fit :) - do i need to adjust anything?