Sign in to follow this  
juloesG60

The good and the bad of owning a 2L 16v?

I've had my 2.0 16v since last October, and unfortunately I've ended up spending quite a bit of money getting things sorted, which I believe is mainly due to the previous owner not looking after it properly. When I bought my C it only had two owners from new, and the first one (had the car for about 11 years) always used a dealer and had everything sorted when it needed doing, just that the next owner didn't seem to bother too much.

I initially wanted a 2.0 16v instead of a 1.8 because of the fuel situation. With the 2.0 you get a cat and the car is designed for unleaded fuel, and I was led to believe that there would be issues using standard unleaded in a 1.8. I didn't even really consider the G60 as was concerned about fuel and insurance costs, and the VR6 was more than I wanted to pay.

I find that there is plenty enough power for me from a 2.0 16v, I just need work on my gearchanges, as my last car (BMW E36 coupe) was an auto and I had that for over 5 years, and still struggling a bit with my clutch control!

Unfortunately my C is one of the cross-over models so I don't benefit from the newer interior, but at least I do have the newer externals (bonnet etc) which all 2.0 16v's should benefit from.

I sometimes wish I'd forked out a bit more for a VR6, especially when people see I've got a a Corrado, and their first question always seems to be 'is it a VR6?'! But I don't think I'd like the fuel consumption.

The other thing that I miss with my 2.0 is that you don't get the centre armrest in the rear, and I believe that the 2.0 (16v and 8v) were the only ones that didn't get that.

Anyway I do love my C, and after what I've paid on getting stuff sorted out, I wouldn't really want to go and change it for another, as I'd then be back to not knowing what's likely to need replacing etc. Having kept my previous car for over 5 years (and not my partner has the car), you get to know exactly what's been done, and what to expect, and I finally feel I'm now back to that point with my C. Plus my 1992 has quite low mileage (only 82k when I bought it), and the interior really doesn't show much in the way of wear.

point to note: I dont believe the vr mpgs are much different to those quoted in this thread, but it all depends on how hard you drive the car.

if i bought 9a engined Corrado i would ABF swap.....

Theres nothing wrong with a 9a, mine produces good power, and I doubt you would see much of a difference between them. If I was to do an engine change it would be 1.8t.

if i bought 9a engined Corrado i would ABF swap.....

2.0 16v means ABF here....:D:D:D

why?

they're much the same, both are 1984cc and have basically the same head, power potential is much the same through tuning, only really the 9a inlet cam that lets things down.

Granted the ABF injection system is more advanced but it doesn't give you anything noticable on the road.

David.

ABF has good reputation over here as a reliable, rapid, economical engine...Digifant 3 system is another advantage and ABF are quite cheaper than 1.8 Ts.....

9A isnt known that much......and I dont like the looking of K-Jet thing....:D:D

I think ABF swap is easy and cheap option instead of 9A....;)