Sign in to follow this  
andy

Central Locking Oddity

The central locking on my car is acting up, it will lock all doors etc fine on the key but only unlocks the drivers door when unlocking. Is there an obvious place I should look for finding this gremlin?

Does it unlock all the doors if you unlock the passenger door with the key? If it does, then it rules out the system and is probably something fishy going on in the driver's door lock.

Take a look at the micro switch inside the driver's door handle. Not unknown for the switch to fail.

I picked up a new vr6 last weekend and exactly the same problem...passenger door operates central locking fine but the drivers door only opens that door and nothing else...also drivers door doesn't lock any other doors via central locking...any further suggestions

stevie_f_2004, welcome to the forum!

The switch wiring from the handle is fairly weedy and can corrode and break easily, best way to check is to remove the handle (one screw inside the door - but be careful as it may be reverse threaded) and have a look...

This may be coincidence of two cars, but I wonder with this one whether the handle has fail mechanically in the past and been replaces by a non-C/L one.

As Supercharge states, made be neccessary to take off to see if the wires are damaged or even there!

Well after some investigation, I have two Corrados (ones for sale) and neither of them will operate the central locking from the passenger door! The plot thickens. Its not something I've ever wanted to do I must admit. I guess its a drivers handle off job.

Update!

I have isolated the fault to the Drivers door handle microswitch, looking at it, it doesn't look like the switch is replaceable, only by replacing the whole handle. Where can I get one of these from sharpish?

Its 535 947 559 from the dealers but it will go on order to Germany possibly - 4 to 5 days.