Sign in to follow this  
Tedb

GEARBOX OIL

I've been advised to change the oil on my 16v, there's 110k of genuine miles on the clock and it's never been done. I have a couple of questions for the more knowledgeable amongst you.

Would I be advised to replace with Genuine VW Gearoil as per spec. in the Manual or replace with another brand?, I've heard Redline MT90 is good and more suited to tired boxes but I don't know any different. Any advise appreciated. Finally, do I need a pump to pump the oil in or can I fashion some form of hose to fill it? I understand the filling point is on the side of the box and requires the use of an Allen Key and isn't terribly accessible.

Cheers

Use MT90 and nothing else! It's just as good in old boxes as it is new ones.

Yep, you can drop a length of hose down into the filler hole and use a funnel and fill from the engine bay.

You need 1.5 litres. 2 won't go in unless the box is dry.

I've got MT90 in mine (as have quite a few other people on here) and it certainly seems to have slicked up the gearchange. I'm not sure how much different it is to new VAG stuff though.

You'll definitely need a bit of hosepipe and a funnel to fill the box with (and ideally someone to help), but you don't need a pump or anything.

redline MT90 will make your gearchange feel much nicer... It's definately a worthwhile addition... 8)

You don't need a pump, but a length of clear hose makes life somewhat easier.

You need a 17mm allen key (or socket adaptor) to undo the plugs... there's one on the front of the box about half way up which you fill through until it starts leaking back out again, and one underneith that's the drain point.

One simple tip is to ensure that you undo the fill point BEFORE you try to undo the drain point... that way you know that you'll be able to refill it after you've drained it and won't be left in the sticky position of not being able to get oil back into the box and not being able to move the car 'cos there's no oil in the box! ;) :lol:

You're right when you say that the filling point isn't very accessible, but on a valver it's probably the easiest to get at due to the lack of any pipework over the top of it... 8)

Good luck!

3 replies all saying roughly the same thing in the same minute?!? woah... :lol:

Saying that, I did write more than you two put together... :p

Greetings all.

Bringing up this post cos.

My box has been rebuilt lastweek, picked it up from my mates worshop yesterday.

VR 1st n 2nd plus all new bearings throughout the box. Swapped the wrk for a Saab SS jetex exhaust..

So it has no oil in at all. Been washed stripped and re-assembled.

So I'm gona get the MT90 oil as said by all. Due to the box empty of oil how much will it take?

2 litres? or what.

I've seen MT90 on Demon Tweeks site. Which 90 should I use? One stated

A 75W90 GL-4 gear oil for use in synchromesh boxes.

Is this the choice of the Rado box?

Cheers

I don't have one! I'm just suggesting an alternative to the Redline which is better quality and cheaper.

Cheers

Simon

Redline comes in Quarts so you need 3 really...

So its 2 litres then??????? :?:

Cheers Oilman, i just had a mission getting hold of a 17mm plug key nevermind oil and amounts!!

Greetings all.

Bringing up this post cos.

My box has been rebuilt lastweek, picked it up from my mates worshop yesterday.

VR 1st n 2nd plus all new bearings throughout the box. Swapped the wrk for a Saab SS jetex exhaust..

So it has no oil in at all. Been washed stripped and re-assembled.

So I'm gona get the MT90 oil as said by all. Due to the box empty of oil how much will it take?

2 litres? or what.

I've seen MT90 on Demon Tweeks site. Which 90 should I use? One stated

A 75W90 GL-4 gear oil for use in synchromesh boxes.

Is this the choice of the Rado box?

Cheers

ok, the shop manual states 2.1 litres. What i do is fill the gearbox until fluid level is at the fill plug, but not coming out. just get two bottles (quarts) or redline or whatever product you are going to be using, which is all you will need. ive changed fluid in a handful of vw trannys and this is what ive done everytime. never a problem.

i use mobil 1 75w90 gl-5 with good results(got rid of 2nd gear grind.

When I changed mine, I used Castrol SMX-S (I think that's what it was called! :?), which I got from Halfords, and some Slick 50 gearbox treatment, as I couldn't get hold of the MT90 at the time. Worked an absolute treat and the improvement was very noticeable.