dcuk

Gearchange.....

Hi,

I know this topics been discussed many times before but i drove my corrado today after a few weeks and the gearchange has gone from bad to worse!

Now second gear is really hard to find... at times impossible, i literally have to shove it as hard as i can sometimes.

Gets embarassing at traffic lights and turnings as 1st disappears too!

Just wanted to know what the best thing to do is? how should i go about adjusting the linkages, they seem a bit slack and look like they may need some greasing too. Any other tried and tested ideas?

Is there anything like a linkage repair kit available.. i can see some sort of small bushes in the linkage assembly.

Cheers...

Ive got similar problems. Ive greased them but to no avail.

I got this reply from RW1 the other day:

As regards the gear selection problem, first port of call is the cable end to gear box attachment. It's poor engineering design as the nut is only tightened to 10 ft lb and has no lock nut or other retainer mechanism. It can work loose as consequence.

Need two peeps, get someone to move the gear stick across the gear gates from 5th to reverse ie. the neutral right to left movement, without engaging any gears. On the gearbox you will see only one cable move the gearbox controls. The cable throws the lever back and forth over a short arc. Put the gear stick fully over to the reverse gate but not forward into the reverse gear position. While it is held there, see if the cable end/gearbox lever control will go further towards the that end of travel. If it does, then the cable end fitting has slipped. A crude way to adjust the cable end/gearbox lever control is to slacken the nut slightly. Hold the cable end and push the lever so that the end travel coincides with the gear stick's full travel across the gate at either end of the across left/right neutral throw. At the extreme ends of the cable movement, there is hardly any play and if there is it should be a balanced at each end of the cable's travel. When happy with the set-up, nip the nut upto 10 ft lb, Any more and damage may occur to the plastic end fitting on the gearchange cable. May be worth taking the nut off and putting some "lock-thread"on the threads of the cable attachment.

If this is not it, then there is a problem inside the gearbox.

this might be a silly answer but are you sure the circlip hasn't fallen off gear stick, the one half way down the shaft under the trim.

i have a problem like this, although its never hard to get the gear to engage and it doesn't crunch but the gears feel totally out of place and in unnatural places, its quite hard to explain but it seems fairly common..

any help/advice appreciated

Cheers.

Gonna have a proper look at it tomorrow. Pretty sure its a dodgy linkage rather than a gearbox by the feel of it.

Feels like theres something solid stopping the gearstick moving while trying to select gear, only a firm shake or brute force gets it engaged.

anyone have a picture of the circlip in situ? or if not, can someone describe where the hell it should be? sorry for being dense :p

I can never get second gear when changing up at highish revs (i.e flooring it from the lights) yet the gearchange is good for normal driving. 2nd just feels like a dead stop then have to reclutch when the revs have dropped to get it in. Sick of been beaten at the lights!

I Changed all the engine & gearbox mounts but it made no difference.

Would this be a problem with the box or could it still be something wrong in the linkages? It doesnt crunch into second when cold like my old GTI did......

anyone have a picture of the circlip in situ? or if not, can someone describe where the hell it should be? sorry for being dense :p

If you pull up the gaitor surround (grip either side of the surround and just pull upwards) - look at the gear stick shaft and look down to the base of that. On the left hand side at the base (or passenger side) there should be a shaft with a circlip holding things together there - if you DONT have the circlip you'll see that there is a lot of movement on that shaft - if you have the circlip there should be virtually none.

*edit*

Pic from an old post relating to this here : http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/download.php?id=3722

ah jackpot! thats exactly what i thought, just wanted to make sure!

Circlip must have dropped down into the hole then? :E

They usually just snap in two actually :(

Head down to your local Stealer as a replacement costs pennies but expect a real game getting the right one off them.. they always supply you with the wrong one!

Right, well as im practically useless i have taken a picture of the gearlever under the gator. I assume that the horizontal bar that i have circled red is where the clip should be situated (and isn't)?

And i have a ETKA print out of the gearbox mechanism, yet i cant visualise from the gearbox to the layout to see which part it is. And they aren't labelled under ETKA as circlips. Does anyone know the part no? or which number it is on the diagram (i guessed at 12?)?

Sorry for being a thicko :/

any circlip that will fit will do, dealers just gave me a handfull to try rather than orderein on one

the only difference id the correct one will have a folded bit over the top

(jim- glad the welsh vs english difference didnt make a difference to u using my pic)

sorry i`m only messing,

v.common problem that and easily sorted

hope it makes your c driving experience soooo much better!!!

Hey.. I just did a search and it was the first suitable pic to come up. Sure you're ok with an English person using it?! ;)

just thought i,d check this thread cos my gearchange has been awful since i got it!

no circlip to be found!

bunged one on and hey presto!!! feels great now!!!!

cheers boys!! :)

the circlip is a common problem... VAG list 2 of 'em which are both slightly different, I have always just bought both (still under a quid for both!) so I know I get the correct one... :lol:

The circlip is listed as a "Lock Washer" and there are 2 part numbers, could be either:

N 908 159 03

N 012 327 6

fitted mine today, i got one but it was too small so i filled it and it went on!

My colorado is like a whole new car :p

I still havent checked mine, havent been driving, but i just hope its gonna be that simple, but knowin my luck it wont be!! :cry:

i had trouble with dealer giving me the right one :x and was stripping my corrado when i noticed the clip that holds the clutch pedal in does a better job than the circlip you have to cut a little bit with side cutter but works a treat :lol: