Sign in to follow this  
chobbs

girl, stereo, need help!!!

Hi, doing a girlie thing here so much help needed please.

I want to upgrade the existing and very old system on my Storm.

I have the original 10cm speakers with tweeters in the dash and 13cm in the doors with a sony face off and 10 stack sony in the boot (which I don't want to replace). I'm also told that it's not worth replacing the 6x4's in the rear which is fine. I haven't got loads of dosh and don't want to get an amp or drill any holes. Can anyone suggest the best speakers and CD unit to get based on this info please and also someone good to fit it in or around Basingstoke.

I've trawled through previous topics in here and must say I'm none the wiser. :cry:

speakers wise i have a set of alpine compnents in the front , cant remember the name but they were about 80 from Halfrauds, the rear 6 x 4's are pants and hold no bass, but it seems to be that whatever you replace them with will suffer from the same problem.

I got a stealth shelf delivered for about 80 quid and kept my origional parcel shelf to avoid cutting it and slapped some infinity 6 x 9's on it, sounds ace and handles the bass nicely.

with regards to the cd changer I belive your only option is to stay with a Sond head unit that will be able to speak to the changer and alow you to use it. Ill probably get flamed for this but If you spend over 150 notes (which aint difficult) Halfrauds will fit it for free. It saves the hassle if you dont want to do it yourself.

Your best off on a budget getting a set of infinity components (separate speakers and tweeters) that will just directly replace the originals. Go to any reputable stereo shop and they should be able to hepl you out. As to head unit it's a case of finding one you like from a decent brand. They all have soooooooo many bells and whsitles that flashing lights that oyu need to really just pick one that suits you.

In terms of if you can afford try to look at Alpine headunits if you can stretch your budget to one as they are high quality. They don't often have as many of the bells whistles and flashing lights but this I think is a good thing as they are far more geared to functionality and quality of sound.

I'm sure if buying both from same place you may be able to use girlish charm and negiotate free fitting with a bit of eyelid fluttering!!!! :lol:

Zippy's right...

believe it or not, Halfrauds actually CAN often be cheaper than many smaller places, especially when you take into account that they will fit the whole lot for you in the price. You need to take a trip down there and find the most helpful person in there and see what they can recommend for you. Occasionally, they really are helpful. Good Luck.

In terms of if you can afford try to look at Alpine headunits if you can stretch your budget to one as they are high quality. They don't often have as many of the bells whistles and flashing lights but this I think is a good thing as they are far more geared to functionality and quality of sound.

Was gonna suggest this idea too! Especially if you can stretch to the new one that is designed for use with your ipod. You can actually connect the pod to it, and control it entirely from the head unit. Not sure how much they are at the moment tho.

I'm sure if buying both from same place you may be able to use girlish charm and negiotate free fitting with a bit of eyelid fluttering!!!! :lol:

Moi, eyelid fluttering... :roll:

I put an alpine in my last storm and really liked it but will it work with my sony changer? I don't really care about bells and whistles, just want quality sound and speakers that all work at the same time no matter how many bumps I drive over which seems not to be the case at the moment... and no-one reply with typical girlie driving... :p

OK, I'm off down to Halfords at the weekend to see what they have and what they can offer. I have a sneaky feeling that they won't fit my speakers all in but hey ho it's a start. Just been out in him and only one working now (off and on) bit like a menstral woman... Not that I'd know of course!!

Thanks for your help gentlemen. :)

I'm afraid I'm in Reykyavik this weekend, but I presume you're around the Reading area? If you want any help installing stereo kit then just drop me a PM or email, I'm happy to help...

Check out http://www.mcs-direct.co.uk for stereo stuff as well - got my Sony head unit from them at about £100 cheaper than Halfords...!