Sign in to follow this  
steve_16v

Quick MOT question

MOT is due soon and the exhaust is blowing a bit in the middle, anyone know if this is a failure or advisory?

Also, is a leaking shock (N/S/Front) a failure?

With the shocks my valver failed on one of the back shocks 'leaking to excess' but i only had a 'warning' for one of the front ones which they said was 'starting to leak' - so there appears to be some measure of severity regarding leaking shocks.

Thanks for the quick replies fellas!

Looks like a trip to Longlife for a custom exhaust is in order then, and pray for a lenient tester, cos I can't afford a custom exhaust and coilovers at the moment. (Replaced the front brakes this week with Tarox G88 discs and Tarox Rallye pads - can highly recommend these btw).

Thanks for the quick replies fellas!

Looks like a trip to Longlife for a custom exhaust is in order then, and pray for a lenient tester, cos I can't afford a custom exhaust and coilovers at the moment. (Replaced the front brakes this week with Tarox G88 discs and Tarox Rallye pads - can highly recommend these btw).

If it's only just sweating a bit then a wipe around might get it by the tester, but I wouldn't wan't to drive my car much with a leaking front shock, pretty much as dangerous as defective brakes.

David.

Leaking front shock is defo failure, leaking exhaust not a failure unless the tester is unable to get a reading on the gas analyser, a lot of places will just fail it but if they do this get them to read their mot manual properly.

If it's only just sweating a bit then a wipe around might get it by the tester, but I wouldn't wan't to drive my car much with a leaking front shock, pretty much as dangerous as defective brakes.

David.

I know it's not ideal, especially going round high speed bends where it's a bit bouncy, but I've only had the car since June and unfortunately it's needed quite a few other things doing that were more important than a weeping shock (the front brakes were nearly metal on metal, front steering bushes were shot, 4xtyres, cambelt service, etc).

Hopefully there will be some HK coilovers going on soon which will sort out that problem (and the horrendously high ride height!)

Normally I'd get rid of a car that cost so much to run but it's my first Corrado and I love it!

Looks like a quick wipe of the shock, a bit of exhaust sealant and send it in a week or two early and hope for the best, hopefully it'll pass ... if that damned abs light behaves itself that is!

lol my local garage tried for 3 days to get the ABS light off, they just gave up and passed it in the end! :lol:

Nice!

Mine only turns itself on maybe once or twice a week for a mile or two then disappears. I know its game though ... it'll wait until the testers watching and then flash him! :x

My exhaust leaks a little from the middle silencer, and it passed. As has been said here, so long as it isn't excessively noisy, isn't in danger of falling off and doesn't interfere with the emissions testing then there is no reason to fail it. In the extreme case, you could appeal a failure notice, but most sensible testers will listen to reason if you clearly know what is in the manual.

Best wishes

RB

Well, it went for the test today and passed! With only an advisory about the exhaust blowing. Don't know if the tester spotted the weeping shock or buckle on the rear wheel or not ... I was going to mention it to him, but thought better of it!

good stuff - though I am surprised! my car failed last time and the blowing exhaust was picked up. i was hoping for an advisory too - but nope! count yourself lucky son ;) kidding