Sign in to follow this  
6n16v

G60 and G40 engines.

For the G40 to do 125MPH you'd be screaming the nuts off it... in a STANDARD G60 that's a nice cruising speed...

Hmmm, I think not, 125mph in my G40 (standard wheels etc) comes in just under 5.5k, they are geared to redline at 155mph :wink:

As said before they are different cars though, so you can't really compare them, G40's are more capable than most people think though, for example, my G40 sat with rmn's VR6 (a golf not a corrado though) to 100 mph, we eased off then. It has also left 1.8 & 2.0 16v Corrado's easily (that was as a completly standard car)

Don't take it that I have anything against Corrado's, I'm in the market for one now myself as a slower daily driver alternative to my G40 which is going to be my weekend fun car.

isnt there also a problem in that they where pushing the engineering a bit in the g60 charger as the displacer had a higher mass than the g40 so it cant have very small pulleys or it wll simply explode at high rev's whereas the g40 can be spun faster without the risk of going pop so the g40 is an easier engine to tune,

g40 is certainly a car i would like to own in the future, and the first thing i would do is de-badge it, the look on peoples faces when they had just been blown away by my mates totally standard looking fettled g40 was priceless :shocked!:

Hang on gsbellew... :roll: Let's go back and look at the first post here...

I know the g40 lump as standard chucks out an 8 second to 60 with 113 hp and top speed of 125.

I don't care what the gearing is setup for, you physically can't get it there in a standard G40, where I've sat at 125 cruising in a standard G60 Corrado, so I'll stick with...

For the G40 to do 125MPH you'd be screaming the nuts off it... in a STANDARD G60 that's a nice cruising speed...

Just for info though, the G60 Corrado is geared for a theoretical top speed in excess of 160mph...

coolrado Yup, that's one of the limiting factors on the G60 engine... The G60 charger was pretty much as big as the engineering practices and materials available at the time would allow it to be. There are rumours that there's a company still making G-laders and that they're now making G80 and G120 chargers, but I've yet to see any evidence behind this...

At the end of the day, if you put a G60 engine into a car the same weight as a G40 polo without fettling either engine, the G60 powered car would crap all over the polo. Fettle them both the same amount, and again, the G60 would win...

Have a look at a torque curve from a G40 and a G60 engine and ignore the BHP figures, that'll tell you why they bothered making a G60 engine in the first place... 8)

isnt there also a problem in that they where pushing the engineering a bit in the g60 charger as the displacer had a higher mass than the g40 so it cant have very small pulleys or it wll simply explode at high rev's whereas the g40 can be spun faster without the risk of going pop so the g40 is an easier engine to tune,

g40 is certainly a car i would like to own in the future, and the first thing i would do is de-badge it, the look on peoples faces when they had just been blown away by my mates totally standard looking fettled g40 was priceless :shocked!:

you obviously haven't seen the suspension on the front of a polo, they were designed for 45hp 1L engines :lol:

All they did with the G40 was put bigger bushes in there, not justified cost wise to develop a whole new suspension setup for just the G40, it doesn't even have wishbones, the ARB makes up half of the support, this was always the weak spot on the polo, fast in a straight line but completely inadequate suspension design for a large amount of power through the front wheels.

davidwort, true, but you can now buy aftermarket wishbone suspension for them which finally allows them to go around corners like they should do...

That huge rubber cone suspension mount thing they came with is just plain NASTY and was the main reason I didn't buy a G40... :pukeright:

Hang on gsbellew... :roll: Let's go back and look at the first post here...

I know the g40 lump as standard chucks out an 8 second to 60 with 113 hp and top speed of 125.

Did nobody ever tell you that VW have a tendency to underestimate their top speeds :roll: :roll: :roll: I personally have seen the wrong side of 140mph in a completely standard G40, verified by a unmarked cop cars vascar display. Quoted top speed was 122mph to correct you by the way :wink:

I personally have seen the wrong side of 140mph in a completely standard G40, verified by a unmarked cop cars vascar display.

Steep hills and strong winds in Dundalk? :)

gsbellew, you're not correcting me, you're correcting 6n16v whose info I was going off and who started this thread... I have no idea what the 0-60 or top speed on a G40 is, and frankly couldn't care less...

I know that VW DON'T underestimate their stats, but they do test the cars with 2 passengers, half a boot of luggage and half a tank of fuel, unlike some other manufacturers who strip the cars of everything and run 'em on vapour! :roll:

Anyway, this thread was about the ENGINES and why VW bothered to develop the G60 when the G40 could be made to make the same power...

I know that VW DON'T underestimate their stats, but they do test the cars with 2 passengers, half a boot of luggage and half a tank of fuel, unlike some other manufacturers who strip the cars of everything and run 'em on vapour! :roll:

VW quote 0-60 in 8.1s for a polo g40, and i really cant see it doing that with 3 people alone, let alone the other stuff.

I'm still curious as to why a few members of the Polo forum have decided to take it upon themselves to come on here and extoll the virtues of their car to an unassuming, and VAG-wide friendly Corrado Forum!

Did they do you for speeding?

Nah, the guard recognised me from the night club I worked in at the time. a case of its not what you know, its who you know :lol: I know its not big or clever, but it to my mind demonstrates that G40's as standard were capable of more than the stated top speed. They had to be played down to a certain extent because they would have shown up the 16v Golf at the time otherwise.

what do these 40 and 60 means ? if they mean size of thing what is this thing?

:oops:

Width of the charger scroll in mm :wink:

The scrolls in a g60 are 60mm, guess what they are in a g40? 8)

G40 has a 40mm diameter scroll inside it.

G60 has a 60mm diameter scroll inside it.

The G stands for G-Lader. It's called that 'cos it looks like a G and Lader means charger in German If I Remember Correctly...

Edit - mmm, bit slow with my answer there... :lol:

I'm still curious as to why a few members of the Polo forum have decided to take it upon themselves to come on here and extoll the virtues of their car to an unassuming, and VAG-wide friendly Corrado Forum!

I'm on here because I am looking to buy a Corrado and I genuinely like Corrado's, I only posted in this thread because of the inaccurate and un-informed posts.

Just for the hell of it here is a G40 speedo which does not seem to be struggling to get over 125 mph.

G40speedo.jpg

Just editing to point out that this was not taken by me nor in my car, thank you for your kind comments based on assumptions, usefull saying for you, never assume, because it makes an ass out of you and an ass out of me. :wink:

Just for the hell of it here is a G40 speedo which does not seem to be struggling to get over 125 mph.

G40speedo.jpg

That's dead smart :roll: were you steering with your knees when you took that and eating a pasty at the same time??

In any case a vw speedo can easily over-read by more than 15mph at that speed anyway.

I'm on here because I am looking to buy a Corrado and I genuinely like Corrado's, I only posted in this thread because of the inaccurate and un-informed posts.

Fair enough, The info in the first post looks to be inaccurate then, but as to the un-informed bit, there's some good info in this thread, which bits do you think are uninformed? :?

Oh, and with a standard 10% over-read on a speedo at 125mph the reading will be nearly 140mph... add in that mechanical speedos tend to get more inaccurate the higher up the scale they get and I'd bet you weren't actually going much over 125... at a Genuine 139.8mph (GPS race tracker) in my Corrado the speedo was reading over 150, and that's an electronic one...

G40speedo.jpg

That's dead smart :roll: were you steering with your knees when you took that and eating a pasty at the same time??

In any case a vw speedo can easily over-read by more than 15mph at that speed anyway.

I didn't take that photo thank you very much :roll:

Fair enough, The info in the first post looks to be inaccurate then, but as to the un-informed bit, there's some good info in this thread, which bits do you think are uninformed? :?

Oh, and with a standard 10% over-read on a speedo at 125mph the reading will be nearly 140mph... add in that mechanical speedos tend to get more inaccurate the higher up the scale they get and I'd bet you weren't actually going much over 125... at a Genuine 139.8mph (GPS race tracker) in my Corrado the speedo was reading over 150, and that's an electronic one...

Granted the speedo in the picture is going to be over reading, mine should have been when I was pulled over too, but my figures and the cops were very similar, not 10% out anyway, so unless you are saying the vascar system is inaccurate too?

I beleive that its uninformed to say that in the region of 125 mph that it will be driving the bollox out of a G40, but I am happy enough to agree to disagree. :)

My polo is debadged, you're right the look is priceless

Width of the charger scroll in mm :wink:

thanks body.........;)

At the end of the day an 830kg car shaped like a bus with 113hp isnt gonna do 140mph on a flat road with no wind