Sign in to follow this  
6n16v

G60 and G40 engines.

Look at both engines.

Golf/Passat 1.8 8v G60 produces 160 hp

Polo 1.3 8V produces 113bhp.

Now..... Fit a ported charger, 68 mm pulley , chip and a decent exhaust and the g60 Golf/corrado /Passat is running 190-200 hp

Do the same to a G40 1.3 engine.. ie ported G60 charger, chip ,smaller Pulley and decent exhaust and your looking at 190-200 hp too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt this make the 1.8 8v engine look silly compared to its smaller (or maybe bigger :lol: ) brother?

And seeing as the 1.3 revs quicker and is about 200kg ligher this would make them blisteringly quicker than a 1.8 G60 engine'd golf/passat/corrado.

Whats 1/4 miles times and 0-60 times do the rados/golfs put out?

I know the g40 lump as standard chucks out an 8 second to 60 with 113 hp and top speed of 125.

cheers for looking

i'm not sure your figures are correct, but i do know that a fettled g40 is alot quicker off the mark than a fettled g60....g40's are ALOT of fun. :D

Hi mate , thanks for the greets

what do you mean by optimistic? for the 1.8 engine or 1.3

The 1.3's make this kind of power with the mods stated no problem

your G60 figures are a bit optimistic

welcome to the forum though

a g60 on a g40 block will produce around 1.6bar on a 65mm pulley and has a x-flow head as std. so yes they do flow better. but sort the head on a pg and wind them up :wink:

a g60 on a g40 block will produce around 1.6bar on a 65mm pulley and has a x-flow head as std. so yes they do flow better. but sort the head on a pg and wind them up :wink:

yup you might all laugh at me for asking this..

what the HELL does 1.6bar mean???

Welcome to The Forum 6n16v...

Try taking an engine based on a G40 block upto 250ish BHP with some sort of reliability and your argument starts to fall over... You're also missing a fundamental piece of thinking in your statements:

The Polo G40 was designed as a hot hatch, the G60 was a marketed as a luxury sports coupe in Corrado form and "one up on a GTI" in Golf form, the Passat was a 4x4 estate so doesn't really qualify for your arguement... :lol:

However, what I'm saying is that they're totally different markets with totally different requirements...

For the G40 to do 125MPH you'd be screaming the nuts off it... in a STANDARD G60 that's a nice cruising speed...

The G60 (in all flavours) was a luxury beast, usually with 'leccy windows, sunroof, leccy mirrors etc etc etc. The G40 just didn't have that level of trim to it, and so benefitted from the lack of weight that those toys add...

I know that G40s are a LOT of fun (I very nearly bought one instead of J-DUB), but I'd rather be seen and rather drive a G60 Corrado from the comfort and looks point of view if I was going for a supercharged VW... 8)

...and I KNOW which I'd rather be in at high speeds if there were ANY thought of an accident... :?

Theres no point in coming on here ready for a cross-VW scrap.. we're not biased on here and take every car for its merits. But as Henny says, the G40 and G60 are just different beasts designed for different things.

Having just spent 30 hours and 1,100 miles driving in a Corrado G60 over the past 5 days, I can tell you that a tiny little screaming Polo G40 would NOT have been my preferred method of doing that trip! Erics G60 with cruise control, air con, and lightly fettled G60 was wonderfully comfortable as well as fun to drive..

No knocking the G40 though - they look like a riot and i'd love to own one, one day :)

Try taking an engine based on a G40 block upto 250ish BHP with some sort of reliability and your argument starts to fall over... You're also missing a fundamental piece of thinking in your statements:

250bhp??? Never. 1: why would you want to, and 2: it's never been done (as far as I know)

The Polo G40 was designed as a hot hatch,

It's a coupe :wink: :-P

For the G40 to do 125MPH you'd be screaming the nuts off it... in a STANDARD G60 that's a nice cruising speed...

I wouldnt say screaming the nuts off it... that would be more like 140mph..

The G60 (in all flavours) was a luxury beast, usually with 'leccy windows, sunroof, leccy mirrors etc etc etc. The G40 just didn't have that level of trim to it, and so benefitted from the lack of weight that those toys add...

G40's had sunroofs... not a lot else, but that they did have!!

...and I KNOW which I'd rather be in at high speeds if there were ANY thought of an accident... :?

Or low speed come to that. Damn spanish build quality and complete lack of any front end structure.

The Polo G40 was designed as a hot hatch, the G60 was a marketed as a luxury sports coupe in Corrado form and "one up on a GTI" in Golf form, the Passat was a 4x4 estate so doesn't really qualify for your arguement... :lol:

However, what I'm saying is that they're totally different markets with totally different requirements...

I know that G40s are a LOT of fun (I very nearly bought one instead of J-DUB), but I'd rather be seen and rather drive a G60 Corrado from the comfort and looks point of view if I was going for a supercharged VW... 8)

Hi , I totally understand where your coming from regards to being a different beast... and I'm not here either to knock the corrado etc... but u gotta see where I'm coming from .. when you look at both engines side by side.. and the power etc they produce from the mods I've mentioned. It does seem a bit insane.

250 from a 1.3 can be made relitavly easily from a 1.3 with some bottom end, head work.. but I doubt the G-60 lader would be able to cope.

I don't think you should get too bogged down with the actual power figures, what about the torque and how it is produced?

It doesnt matter if you up the power in the G40, 5th gear is still the same, so 125mph will be screaming the nuts off it.

and even in the G60, 125 in a VR =about 5.5k so thats a bit higher then cruising speed IMO.

250 bhp in a G40, never done before? You guys need to check out Sorg Motorsports 260 bhp kit

http://www.sorgmotorsport.de/Kataloge/P ... Polo86.pdf

Tuningkit 25

I'm aiming for 220-240 on my 1478cc long term project.

How I am doing it is:

Ported head with 38/33mm valves (std 35/29)

Newman cam, probably 268/276-280

GT inlet manifold, ported

49,5mm throttle body

heavily flowed charger with 65/58mm pulley on modified SLS charger bracket

77mm bore pistons from PSD, CR 9-9,5;1

1W block and crank, balanced and lightened

4-branch and racing cat

250mBar mapsensor with suitable map and redtops

To get the power down (or trying to anyway) I will be using a Salzmann wishbone conversion and G40 Cup box

The G40 front suspension suck with over 160 bhp, my front wheels move back around 1/2 inch when launching with std suspension and around 164 bhp

from an enthusiast point of view that sounds great, but from a financial point of view, sounds like a lot of money... should be a nice little project tho.

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

Similar mods to each car... but this time the polo is Only running a g40 charger. ie 145-150 hp / 140 torque and the corrado runnin rougly 190-200hp with similar torque to match

Yet the old polo still trounces the Corrado :) So in the real world yes torque does make the difference , but not in the case of these 2 cars in comparison.

I'd still take the Corrado any day though.. Polo is a cool little car, but the Corrado just has the looks.

Again, not sure what point you're trying to prove. This is a Corrado.. we know there are quicker / lighter / better / whatever cars out there, but the Corrado is the one we love!

there is a gold G40 around this area that also goes to NR, i was behind him on the A3 in my old mk2 8v. Completely standard but thought i'd be able to play with him, was i wrong!!! he floored and and was consistently pulling away from me, didn't realise they could be that quick!!!

hey mate where is the page 58 59 ;) to see corrados details....

and if you dont mind could you scan or take picture of these pages to read easyly..cos there arent readable...;)

btw thanks in advance.....;)

Similar mods to each car... but this time the polo is Only running a g40 charger. ie 145-150 hp / 140 torque and the corrado runnin rougly 190-200hp with similar torque to match

Yet the old polo still trounces the Corrado :) So in the real world yes torque does make the difference , but not in the case of these 2 cars in comparison.

Not biased either way but there's a lot that doesn't add up there, for instance 131mph for a claimed 190-200bhp G60, I'd expect 140mph plus there easily.

...and 1 sec quicker to 60 and 1/4 mile - my old polo weighed 750kg, a g60 will be near 400kg heavier! put 40 paving slabs in the back of the same polo and see how it runs then :lol:

David.

hardly trounces it, by pvw's own admission. The only way to do a fair test of the two engines would be to put them in the same car, ie test a g40 in the polo, then swap it out for a g60 lump and note the differences. I'm fairly sure if you put the g60 from the above corrado in the polo, it'd be producing much better figures than with the standard g40 engine. comes down to power/weight at the end of the day.

from an enthusiast point of view that sounds great, but from a financial point of view, sounds like a lot of money... should be a nice little project tho.

My car has never been financially viable, have spent around 20K on it already

The G60 would have a much higher top end than the G40.. but the lack of space at Bruntingthorpe means you can't really get it to its absolute max. I managed an indicated 140MPH but ran out of runway.. the car was still slowly pulling round the speedo though!

Polo G40 is a much quicker road car,

I have a Corrado G60 and the one thing you cant get over is the weight of the beast, it is a pretty car though, comfortable, good handling brakes etc so overall its proably a better package,,

but to get back on topic here we are talking about the power these engines put out compared to their CC,,

gonna be getting a Polo G40 aswell as my raddo G60 pretty soon...