Sign in to follow this  
JT

camber question

just been on the phone to ATS and the bloke has just quoted me 40 quid to change both front top mounts, my question is he is saying that the cmaber wont need checking is this right i take they just drop the whole strut out replace mount put strut back in :?:

Suppose they can mark on the hub where the shock is bolted on and put it back in the same place again.

But surely after replacing the top mounts you should get the camber set up anyway.....

You would have to mark the mounting points before you remove the strut or you will lose the settings AFAIK... we did this when doing randal's top mounts a few weeks ago - worked well... I'd save the £40 and do it yourself - it's all fairly straight forward 8)

that thought has crossed my mind but i need to the car back on the road asap and i'm going to a festival this weekend so not sure how good i'm gonna be on monday, but i do hate paying for simple jobs...

£40 aint a bad price, is a pretty simple job, but will take you a few hours, and on mine the strut top nut was tight as a nuns .. all the way! You also need a dodgy spanner to get it off, cuz u need to get an allen key on it also, I had to weld a bar on the socket!

And I really cant see them getting the camber spot on where it was after removing the strut

well they only charge 25 quid to do the camber, one thing tho gonna need 4 new tyres for the mot in november is it worth me waiting and having the camber done with new tyres on does it not make that much difference...

its easy to remove the strut without upsetting the camber settings.... do what i did remve the stut from the lower ball joint remove the driveshaft cv joint and trackrod end unbolt the caliper and away you go! admittadly it was a ball ache but it saved setting the camber again for the sake of a wheelbearing in my case!!! good luck the c.v joint seemed to be glued into the wheelbearing i actually used a sledgehammer to knock the c.v out in the end note to self.......put the big nut on before hitting the joint :-P

andy

if its still on vw shocks you shouldnt need to change the camber as it is fixed. unlike the early mk1 setup. you can however buy adjusting bolts that are thiner

do it and set it as good as you can for now then when you`ve got new tyres etc get it done properly

thats what i`d do

:skinflint i am:

ben