Sign in to follow this  
golfg60

Must be some mistake!!!

Some of you may remember that i had an accident not so long back.

The accident wasnt my fault as a young girl pulled across my lane and i drove into the side of her. The young lad behing my ploughed staright throught the 2 of us afterwards.

Anyway the accident investigation unit turned up and measured tyre marks etc. Happy that i hadnt been speeding or breaking the law in anyway i went to the police station today to make a statement where i was told that i was infact travelling at 62 mph in a 40 zone!!! No way!!! I know these results are supposed to be accurate but how accurate? I'm not stupid or a boy racer and i know for a fact i want going that fast at all. The lad that hit us both was going 84 mph!

Has anybody had any experience with this and i really am not happy with the results of the predicted speeds???

2 words, legal advice.

I wouldn't say another word to the plod until you talk to someone.

What did they say? Do they intend to prosecute?

Gavin

No way they can prove you were doing 22mph over the limit from a skid mark, maybe if you locked up from 62-0 I guess they could get an accurate guess. They're prolly just trying to get you to admit you were speeding!

Sneaky bastids!

How long ago since the accident?

You have the right to ask them for the evidence to prove thier claim.

Personally,I would get lawyered up and get them on to the case.

The test are fairly accurate unfortunately! But to agree with bix, i think only if you lock up at that speed. IIRC from uni, they measure the length of the skid mark, and use that along with the temperature that rubber changes state (latency i think) and can work out how fast you were going. Deffo get legal advice tho, could be a scare tactic, get the evidence and get it verified by a second party who is experienced in that field and has been used as an expert witness before. Good luck matey.

Hmm, if they are that accurate then surely the lad who was doing a supposed 84mph would have killed himself, you and the girl??!!

I've seen crashes from motorway speeds and believe me 84mph would be fatal to all unless you were very, very lucky.

You sure the results were not given in kph?

I struggle to beleive they can possibly tell speed to any great acuracy, the ground temperature, tyre temperature, age/condition/tread pattern/pressure etc must be big factors.

Hmm, if they are that accurate then surely the lad who was doing a supposed 84mph would have killed himself, you and the girl??!!

I've seen crashes from motorway speeds and believe me 84mph would be fatal to all unless you were very, very lucky.

Would they quote speeds in KPH?

Gavin

Would they quote speeds in KPH?

Gavin

Feck knows mate, all I know is an impact at 84mph would obliterate everything!

If the police are called to an accident which is not an open/close case then unfortunately they will endeavour until conclusion. Insurance companies will ask for all available data, hoping they won't have to pay out a penny :lol:

The test are fairly accurate unfortunately! But to agree with bix, i think only if you lock up at that speed. IIRC from uni, they measure the length of the skid mark, and use that along with the temperature that rubber changes state (latency i think) and can work out how fast you were going. Deffo get legal advice tho, could be a scare tactic, get the evidence and get it verified by a second party who is experienced in that field and has been used as an expert witness before. Good luck matey.

Err doen't all Corrado's have ABS? And wouldn't the ABS systems performance vary between makes/models/cars? How can they prove your speed from the skidmarks? :?

No Blackcat you are right, ABS is not fitted to early valvers - not sure about G60's and it was standard on VR's I think.

Aha,I can answer this one,as my very first post was about this very subject!

On most Pre 92 Corrado's,ABS was an option only.It was fitted as standard to VR's but the others dfidn't get it as standard until post 92. :mrgreen:

Cheers for all the help chaps.

I had to give a statement yesterday and it was then that i was presented with the report suggesting my speed. There were a few things i didnt agree with in this report. They tried to suggest that i was racing the car behind me (which i was most definately not) even suggesting that just before the crash he was 2 feet behing me!!! Surely not if he was going 20 mph more than me???

As somebody said earlier at those speeds we'd all be dead. The damage to my corrado was bad enough to right the car off but certainly not enough to suggest i was over the speed limit.

From what they said they intend to prosecute all involved in the accident.

He even suggested that if i get done for dangerous driving i could lose my licence!!! If i get charged with careless driving then i will get points and a fine. WTF.....i havent done anything wrong, been driving 10 years and have had a clean licence up until now, been pulled over just once for a dodgy brake light, i am so shocked by all of this.

Thats a bummer mate but seems to be well familiar these days. I had a car stolen a few years back and the guy who took it was the guy i bought the car from. I caught him on camera and went to the police and basically told me they had better things to do - nice one!!!

Cheers for the link BTW mate!