Sign in to follow this  
samm_cvr6

WILL AN FTO 2.0 V6 MIVEC "EAT" A VR?

This backward mechanic character I was chatting to today told me this!? LOL.

Now I really couldn't care less what cars are faster/slower than mine, but when he told me the mivec

a)Redlines at 9k (from my memory, only an S2K revs that high)

b)Hits 60 in 4.5!

Slight exageration!!

He said it was an import, and I just smiled cos Ias far as I'm aware, there all imports! :lol:

I think the most powerful one they made was 170BHP.. but I don't see how a 2.0 V6 that weighs the same as a 2.9 V6 could win.

I'm confident the VR would spank the FTO.

Yea, exactley my thoughts Jim, the other thing that backs up my opinion is his ridiculous exagerations and a few other things he said, LOL, I just said "Lets just agree to disagree"

I'm going to go back there next week with a copy of EVO and show him the figures, ooh I'm looking forward to seeing his reaction when he sees the figures!

you should be able to kick his jap asss all over the place tbh.... if you cant get back to the driving school...... it is fairly easy in a standard G60, so shouldnt be a prob for a standard VR6

I think some of them have 193/195BHP or so...

Plus they have tiptronic gearboxes which make it easy to change gear v.quickly... so I'd say it depends on the driver skill in the VR and their regard/disregard for their manual gearbox..

The V6 Mivec is 200 horses fellas..... don't confuse it with the crummy 4 pot poo ones.

My VR in standard trim could fairly easily get past one on the motorway from 3rd gear up acceleration and stay ahead. When I was schricked and cam'd it beat them easily. When talking about such jap cars I always mention sewing machines..... it's purely because that's exactly what the Mivec sounds like. The VR just wafted past in it's usual gruff manner and with my sunroof open, all I could hear from the Mivec was a loud noise as it's stirring the cr@p auto box (the rare manual is much better) to find a cog to retaliate with....with overtones of a classic Singer sewing machine on full speed double cross stitch....

Speaking of Jap....I buzzed up to a Civic T R earlier on the way back from the airport and it was in my way, so I flashed him over. He dropped a cog and floored.....by which time I was already 3 or 4 car lengths ahead with a squeeze on the gas in 5th. It's all about torque..... screaming hp at 9000rpm is nothing without sheer grunt to back up the noise.

I hate to say it but I love the exhaust note of that 2.0 V6 in the FTO - it sounds very very nice!

I do like the exhaust note of the FTO V6 just not really the engine note, which is probably more important.

Just be careful what CTR's you race, remember the 290bhp n/a one that was posted here recently? that sounded mental.

I don't like dissing Japo cars but when the owners of them think they're invincible, they need reminding that old Volkswagens can show them up from time to time.....although I have an unfair advantage :lol:

I don't think the FTO sounds nice at all....sounds thin.

Anyway, yeah I'm aware of the mods that can be done to VTECs, spoon controllers or what ever they're called etc etc. I think the ones I've tackled have been standard as I got past them all too easily....but then I have driven one or two of them and it's not hard to see why to be honest. You can catch them out so easily. Get the VTEC in the wrong gear and a Fiesta Zetec can show it up. Get it on the cam though and it can shift, in a rough and ready, noisy kind of way.

Prolly had a Calibra turbo lump under the hood.... the power to weight ratio would show up a lot of supercars, let alone a heavy old Pieline!

was funny too see though,,, exactly what i thought abt the clibra lump

back on topic,,, FTO as really slow in comparison to a rado,,,,,, i jus remebered racing one back from brighton and it was jus poor.... even got overtaken by a 1.6 206

My brother-in-law has a FTO V6 Mivec (manual) and I can beat it comfortably from start to finish. His is an import, standard apart from a ridiculous exhaust and I agree with Kev, when I first went out in it I didn't believe it was a V6 because it sounded so lame.

It only starts really pulling from about 5500rpm and by then I've long gone!

I believe the standard spec is 0-60 in 7.3 seconds, which going by his feels about right. They look faster than they are, believe me. :)

not being pedantic but I think an FTO V6 figures are quicker then a G60? anyone got a copy of EVO lying around?

It's all very well putting calibra turbos in crappy little corsas, but he probably needs bycycle clips for the corners! LOL

The problem with Calibra T lumps (a brilliant engine actually) in a Corsa/Nova is they don't leave them at the standard 204hp. They mess with them to make about 260, sometimes 300+ brake. What was a Nova designed to handle? A wimpy 1600 GTE 100hp engine max, you triple that power and watch the strut turrets literally tear away from the inner wings. It's a short lived glory. A classic case of too much grunt for the car if ever there was one.

Samm, the V6 Mivec Manual isn't bad, but the auto is slow, trust me.

Yea, I might have to show thins guy how it's done, I will have all new valve seals and oil change by then, maybe I will chuck out the spare tyre and parcel shelf for good measure and just have it 1/4 full with petrol!.

There was a 300bhp IHI Ibiza Cupra R on ebay the other day too! bet that was fun.

If I go jap, I will be getting a Nissan 200, certainly not an FTO.

FTO's have to be the worst of the jap crap. The only 'performance' jap car i have no respect for.

Went up against a 2.0 V6 in the G60 the other day, and he struggled. You'll have no probs in a VR.

them datsun sunny GTI-R's are fast,,,dunno abt standard as ivenever seen a std one as everyone plays with them

they are fast but remember the Nissan 200 runs a detuned version of that engine! it is a very good engine. Also, the GTIR will lose more power thru the transmission because it is 4wd, where as the 200 is RWD.

no, that is a common misconception, if it is serviced correctly, it will be reliable, it's only because so many boy racer chacracters don't know how to modify an engine the correct way, or they will just try and save money, but of course, its a false economy.