Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

pressure washing the engine?

My dad's just bought one of those portable pressure washer thingys from halfords and I thought I might borrow it to give my engine bay the once over. Is this a good idea? is there anything i can damage by getting it wet? anything else I should be doing before blasting it with water to loosen the muck?

Make sure you cover up the air filter if using an induction kit or drilled airbox. Also cover up the alarm unit and distributor cap! Plus anything else that is similar

ok, so basically anything electrical or thats used as an 'entry' to the engine. what about the altinator? i might look into steam cleaning depending on how much effort this is going to be Vs the cost of a proper steam clean.

no need to cover alternator

even on my 16vg60 setup where the alternator was at the bottom just above the power steering pump i had to go through a ford and even thou alternator light came on, no probs at all :)

just cover air filters dizzy if u have one even thou ull have to dry it after wards and any sensors etc that u can see water getting into will be fine and dont aim the jet straight at it at full power. if u gunk the engine well first of all ull just need soem power to get the rest off

ive done my engien about 10 times since ive ownerd it and never had a prob :) even going to be doing it over these nights even thou my engine is out

Hmm, I would personally only clean the bay when cold, I use Hammerite degreaser (spray on liberally) and then jet wash off. Steam cleaning can be dodgy as it gets to places water can't, can also play havoc with electrics, even if you have taken precautions.

Theres a lad on the Elite 1000 forum (free plug :oops:) whos mechanic pressure washed his engine. The car was a mk2 with a vr conversion. It kept intermittently runnin like a dog, turned out to be some sort of sensor, so personall wouldnt risk it myself

I've heard that it's best to wash them with the engine running????!!!!!

yep, that way you know were the water has got in if it stutters while your washing it.