Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

rac bodge, all painted happy again

not just a front end re-spray, i asked the guy at my bodyshop to tell them he couldnt match the bonnet and wings as it would not match the rest of the car, and that both sides of the car would also need doing and they agreed to pay it :cheers:

both doors where slightly off colour anyway and there are plenty of parking dents that need sorting, and to be honest i was saving up for a re-spray so now its getting done without costing me a penny, but to be honest i would rather of paid for it myself and not had all the hastle this has caused

i spent several hours stripping the under bonnet foam off the bonnet i bought from james renshaw and that glue is unbelievable :lol:

What is that phrase about clouds and silver linings? mine needs a bit of a respray so would you recomend RAC's window fitting service? :)

well i finally dropped the car off at the bodyshop early this morning and found out the bonnet foam rac ordered was for a late bonnet :mad: still not sure whether its availiable or not ?

anyway i took the foam back to rac and also asked for the money for the bonnet and they said for the inconvenience they will also pay for the roof and boot to be sprayed :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

so now i will have a full respray for nothing :cheers: only problem is no rado for a week and a half :brickwall:

will just have to spend a bit of time on the mk2 g60, that me and a mate are working on 8)

Well to be honest, it sounds like they've been pretty reasonable about this. Of course, the original cock up should never have happened, but at least they're doing the right thing by putting everything right for you.

Now *that* is customer service - putting things right when they go wrong.

Well to be honest, it sounds like they've been pretty reasonable about this. Of course, the original cock up should never have happened, but at least they're doing the right thing by putting everything right for you.

Now *that* is customer service - putting things right when they go wrong.

yep cant really fault the way they have dealt with this since it happened, it just looks like the chimp who did it in the first place let them down.

and i have been there many times since and there has been no sign of him at all :wink:

they ordered another set of bonnet foam after being told by the vw dealers (dane vw chester) that the early foam was still availiable, and they delivered another set of late foam :mad:

so what are my options with the sound insulation?

i dont really like the shiney finnish on dynamat extreme or dynamat hoodliner, its a bit too bling for me :lol: is the square hole pattern foam availiable anywhere else?

if i have to use dynamat how much will i need without having any joins in it?

Just had a quick look at my er, mates etka :wink:

The only under bonnet insulation available is the later type so your local garage monkey can't work ETKA.

Whats the fit difference like between the early and later foam? Is it close or just plain rubbish?

Yandards, it'll be a fecking mile out mate... the bonnet frame is completely different between the 2 versions...

yeah totally different and not even enough foam to cut down to fit either. might just go for the dynamat then.

i suppose i can allways put a layer of foam over it afterwards if i find something suitable.

You may wish to give these guys a ring...

Trent Developments

552 Hartshill Road

Hartshill

Stoke-on-Trent

Staffs

ST4 6AF

01782 638327

Great for Carpets, Carpet sets, Sound Insulation, Vinyls and Headliners, Adhesives. - Recommended by a mate of mine who builds quite a few kit cars... 8) Can't hurt to call 'em and see what they sell... ;)

cheers henny i will give them a try.

i think i saw this guy at bodelwydden earlier this year and my mate bought a load of carpet for his splitty off him.

Yeah, just to confirm the early stuff is obselete...

This is the dealer showing his lack of ETKA knowledge as the only bonnet on the system is the late one as it can be a direct replacement for the early one, however, in the notes below is states 'please us bonnet foam...' - look up that part and it is obviously the later foam and the part number has a revision 'A' at the end, look up that part without the A and it tells you it's obselete...

Yeah, just to confirm the early stuff is obselete...

This is the dealer showing his lack of ETKA knowledge as the only bonnet on the system is the late one as it can be a direct replacement for the early one, however, in the notes below is states 'please us bonnet foam...' - look up that part and it is obviously the later foam and the part number has a revision 'A' at the end, look up that part without the A and it tells you it's obselete...

bugger ah well there go's any hope of keeping it looking original :roll:

it allready has been, the guy who is painting it spent ages doing the underside of the bonnet just in case the foam was no longer availiable, its just to quieten things down a bit, and i dont like the sound of bonnets or doors closing without sound deadening as they sound like something from a citroen :lol:

haywire (king of dynamat) should know what i mean :lol:

picked the car up this afternoon and the paintjob is superb, the colour seems much richer and its had 4 coats of laquer, so it should stay looking good for a long time.

he has taken step by step photo's while he has been doing it so i will try and get a copy of them.

all i need now is some sound deadening so i think i will go for the dynamat extreme, and the gromit for the bottom of the bonnet stay (although the stealers seem to be struggling to find it on etka).

does anyone do twin hydraulic lifters for an early bonnet?

PM Kevhaywire - he has used some foam with silver foil that you cut to shape - i think audioscape supply it.

Glad it's all sorted mate!

Shocking!! :crazyeyes:

I think it was RAC who did my mk3 windscreen.....it leaked.....they had to do it twice again before it was waterproof :(

I've got an ever-growing crack in my polo screen....putting off getting it done tbh.... :?

RAC in Salford keys replaced my windscreen in january, I'm insured with brentacre so RAC were the approved repairer.

I was worried when I dropped it off after reading horror stories on here, but they did an excellent job, I took it to their depot (they advised against doing it out in the elements) and left it for 4 hours, but most of that was curing time. The glass was Sekurit (VAG OE supplier?) and the rubber seals were new (the fitter told me that the plastic A pillar trim parts were now obsolete)

The fit is perfect, the seals are all flush and the lower scuttle trim lines up properly. If I was being really picky, I can see a little of the black sealant from inside the car behind the n/side trim pillar, but that could be trimmed back anyway. They left the car and the screen perfectly clean, and the rear view mirror doesn't wobble at high speeds anymore which is a bonus!

SO thumbs up to that place, but I guess it depends which fitter does the job...