Sign in to follow this  
tomace

Car Turns over but won't start

Need help with 1989 1.6 16v. Turns over but won't start.

Happened a few weeks ago and when i tried it a day later it started ok.

Was dodgy for a few weeks but still started, now it won't start atall.

I've been told it could be the coil? The plugs have been changed recently.

Any one any ideas what it could be, how best to find out exactly without having to replace parts unnecessarily.

Also when car is cold (about first 10 mins after starting) if i accelerate quickly the car doesn't respond and starts jerking. if i ease off and accererate very slowly its ok??

Well first you need to see if you have a spark fuel at the engine.

Also if you have no fuel and you still hear the pump it may be worth checking the small filter on the bottom of the in tank filter. Oddly enough it stopped my scirocco storm from starting,

Need help with 1989 1.6 16v

What car is it?? MK4 Golf??

Sounds like a Coolant Temp sensor issue to me, try and locate the one that feeds the ECU (may be combined with the one for the gauge) and measure resistance across the pins.. no reading = dead sender!

i am having a similar problem to this, i try and start the car and its 50/50 some times it turns over but no start some times the starter motor sounds like its grinding??? can anyone help

battery has been ruled out as its been tested today

cheers muks

My old valvers used to play up when the ambient temps dropped. First thing I always checked on the KRs was the blue 5th injector. Being exposed to the elements on the inlet manny, they used to corrode and the result being there was no cold starting enrichment. The blue fella is controlled by one of the 3 senders that circle the thermotime switch (big brass thing next to the coolant outlet on the side of the head), so check that also.

I also reset the base CO to 2.0%, which is surprisingly easy and is the CO KRs run and idle best at. All you do is disconnect the red spade under the coil (takes the ISV out of circuit), disconnect the breather hose and plug the airbox hole, get the car up to temp, and then with a 3mm allen key (long one), you shove it in the little hole behind the metering head air boot, then turn the throttle body idle screw anticlock until the revs are at 950rpm, the idle will be lumpy, so turn the 3mm allen key (don't push down) clockwise to richen in 1/8th turn increments until the idle smooths off. Reconnect everything and it's set.

If it's not starting at all, it could be the ISV, whack it with a hammer, that always worked for me.