Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

Help with Genesis P4 Ultra amp settings

Hello,

Just finished installing all my Audioscape swag- sounds and looks awsome but needs mucho fine tuning.

There is too much treble, but I think I can dull the tweets on the crossovers. I have a nice alpine head unit with all the crossovers and a big handbook to read through- but what about the basic settings on the amp? I haven't go a fahookin clue what all these buttons mean :cry: .

Any chance anyone who has set-up this install could tell me what each of these buttons/ dials means and does or at least what theirs are set too so I know its ballpark. Then I can worry about the rest on the Head unit.

Cheers

Mike

Do it all from the headunit, what Alpy is it? Mine is the 9835R and all of the filtering is done at source.

If you've got 2 of the channels bridged to the sub and the other two feeding the comps, you need to set the bridged filter to low pass and set it to about 50hz. The front channel filter should be off, or high pass, set to 50hz.

The h/u, depending on model, can then split the frequencies. My sub is set to 6db @ 40hz and the fronts are set to 6db @ 40hz also. On the EQ parametric I have 20hz completely defeated to filter out subsonic activity (10hz and below), 1khz is -3db as Corrados resonate at that frequency and 20Khz is + 6db to open up the sound stage.

I am glad this caught your eye cos I know this is right up your alley! Its a 9835R same as yours (& incidentally how cool is the infinitely adjustable colouring on the buttons 8)

I am just setting up on the fronts at the mo, so its HP at 50hz on the amp.

On the parametric it says I have five bands so 20hz is -6db then (is that what you mean by completely defeated), 1khz is -3db, 20khz is +6db and the other two just left at 0db?

Finally on the crossovers, the manual bangs on about slopes and levels. So for the fronts do I LPF at 40hz with a 6db slope and keep the level at 0?

Cheers for your help/patience! :oops:

Ah good choice mate, one of the best headies I've seen in years is the 35R.

What fronts you got?

What I do is play everything on flat at first to get a feel for what each speaker is capable of.

First I play the fronts with the sub off with a broad range of music to see what the fronts will drop to before clipping and max cone travel takes place (flapping noise). In my case the SEAS references drop seriously low, easy 30hz and the tweeters drop as low as 1700hz!

So, once the fronts are set (by cutting the inaudible 20hz and below, at the front at least) I then blend in the sub so that it only just augments the bottom end.

On the 35R in the crossover settings, you can pull down the fronts or the sub to match the levels.....this is so much easier to explain at the unit, LOL!.....so that the two blend together seemlessly. If the sub is quite lazy, you can set the fronts in the time alignment settings to 1 ms delay to allow the sub to catch up.

There's no real wrong or rights mate, you just need to fiddle until the sound pleases your ear.

I know the 35R and genny amps like the back of my hand, so if we ever meet up at a show, I'll set it up for you.

hi, i got all the gear from audioscape too, and am also having difficulty settin it all up, sounds pretty good at the minute though, took me about 2 months to get it that way though, constant fiddling, and all my settings are factory on the 9835r too! Its a mental head unit, i have to agree, but havent got a foggiest how the hell to use it! would it sound better if i changed some of the settings on there then?

Snap with the headunit Ice white, Constantly playing with it in trafic, but I know what you mean about a little complicated to set up. if I ever bump into you or Kev at a show we'll have to compare notes on settings, high low pass and distances. Im sure i could make mine sound better but get to the point where im going round in circles with the menus.

I think a lot of us have 'the standard' set up- so Alpy head unit, Pro-4 Ultra Amp & focal speakers. I might get down to audioscape and get it set up properly- in which case I'll post up all the info on the settings etc :)

I might get down to audioscape and get it set up properly- in which case I'll post up all the info on the settings etc :)

If you do, let me know and I'll meet you there.

I'll go through ICE setting up with anyone at a meet and the 27th Rolling Road day. Maybe we should have an 'ICE setup' meet? :lol:

I'll go through ICE setting up with anyone at a meet and the 27th Rolling Road day. Maybe we should have an 'ICE setup' meet?

its a date ;-)

I'll go through ICE setting up with anyone at a meet and the 27th Rolling Road day. Maybe we should have an 'ICE setup' meet?

I won't be at the Rolling Road day but if you guys can find some common agreement on crossover points/ time alignment/ parametric settings etc then it would be great if you could post them up. I am going to ask James what he suggests as a starting point because I just can't stop messing around with it!

OK- just set it up- sounds truly awsome. Quick guide to what I did in case it might help anyone else.

1) Turn of Low-pass filter on amp, wind down both High-pass fiters completely (15-20hz- effectively becoming subsonic filters)

2) Cross-over fronts at 80hz with a 12db slope, cross-over sub at 63hz with a 12db slope.

3) Reverse Sub-phase

4) Time align front left speaker 42cm, front-right speaker 95cm (sub stays where it is because, being the most distant speaker, the two fronts are delayed to bring in line with the sub)

5) Set gain so max volume you might listen to is volume level 26-29

All on 9853R- all instructions for this are in the handbook.

Cheers

Mike

1) Yes, filter out what you can't hear and can damage the sub and waste amp power.

2) Depends on the components, I cross mine at 40hz with a 6db slope ;-) Sub is flat using the amp crossover ;-)

3) Yep, couldn't agree more. Ideally you need to face the sub toward the rear of the car to get max bass response, but not poss with our setups.

4) Again, depends on the speed of the sub, if it's a fast one, you won't need much TA but my fronts are timed to 1.5ms FL, 1.8ms FR. Centres the stage bang in the middle of the screen whilst allowing the sub to 'catch up'.

5) The 9835R can go full chat with no clipping mate, so use the full range. You can pull the levels down in the X over menu if need be.

Good to see you're getting to grips with it ;-)

hi, i got my head unit wrong, i got the 9833, is it the same setup as the 35? i looked earlier and cant see how to change xover for front and rear, only to change each frequency! Should i set the rest up the same or what, i want mine to sound awesome,i got al the the rest gb stuff!

Cheers Icewhite and Kev, Fantastcic info. Ive sort of gone in between those settings and my system sounds so much tighter now. 8)