Sign in to follow this  
tug

Fast Road or Competition?

Hi there,

I'm fitting a stainless steel exhaust manifold to my VR in the next couple of weeks and was looking at fitting a Vibratechnics front engine mount while I'm at it.

Question is, which one do I go for? Will the Fast Road mount be stiff enough to stop the manifold cracking or do I need to go for a Competition one?

The rear and gearbox mounts are going to be left standard, but replaced with new ones.

Many thanks,

Andrew.

If you're going to run a stainless header then you want all 3 mounts uprating. Stainless headers are almost completely intolerant to excessive engine movement. I'd go with 2 fast road VTs and a solid rubber gearbox mount, from a diesel MK2 Golf.

If you're going to run a stainless header then you want all 3 mounts uprating. Stainless headers are almost completely intolerant to excessive engine movement. I'd go with 2 fast road VTs and a solid rubber gearbox mount, from a diesel MK2 Golf.

I'd read on here about the Mk2 diesel gearbox mount, but didn't realise I'd need to uprate the rear engine mount as well.

Best get saving then! :)

You've got a similar setup on yours, don't you?

My old man is currently fitting the Vibratechnics mounts I ordered from Stealth, but it looks like they've sent a gearbox mount instead of a rear engine mount.

Is the rear engine mount on a Corrado VR6 the same as a Golf VR6?

I was originally thinking about just putting the manifold on with the standard mounts, but don't want to risk it!

Just spoke to Stealth again, Vibratechnics have sent out the wrong mount. They're going to get the right one sent out to me tomorrow and they'll refund my postage to return the gearbox mount to them.

Can't say fairer than that, can you?! :)

It's an OBX manifold I found on eBay across the pond. $195 + shipping, which in real money came to about £160!

Drop me a PM if you want more info.

OBX1.jpg

Have you got any sort of exaust wrap for it as well? Good luck on the fitting, there are differences between RHD and LHD manifolds due to the location of the brake servo.

Looks good though and could be a worthwhile cheap addition if it fits. :)

The manifold is connected up to the rest of the exhaust system waiting for the engine to go back in, which has been out for the past week for a full rebuild.

There don't appear to be any clearance issues so far, but I'll see what its like once its bolted to the head!

Engine should be going back in tonight, so I'll keep you posted.

Don't have any exhaust wrap for it, is it advisable?

The exaust is opposite to the induction, you really want it as hot as possible. Stainless dissipates heat pretty quickly so without a wrap it could have the opposite effect of what you want. It will also create more heat in the engine bay.

exhaust wrap knocked about 10 degrees off the temps in my G60's engine bay... :| It's well worth doing... 8)

Cheers for that mate!

What does it mean by 1" x 15 in the options drop down menu? 1 inch wide by 15 inches long?

hello again !

Does your vr6 have a cat still in place with this manifold? I was looking at the raceland six branch on ebay ,but dont know if you can keep the cat ?

The raceland one is £220.00 dont know if youve seen it !

The Racelands are supposed to be excellent, even Vince at Stealth was impressed by them, £220 is a bargain. See if they'll do a Group Buy!

Yeah it'll fit to the cat OK.

A good alternative is SuperSprint's, which is a work of art, but costs a whopping £550.....but it is the very best available.

Just to expand on the thermal wrap a bit more, it's function is to retain heat in the manifold, not reduce engine bay temperatures. The reason cast iron is used in manifolds usually is because A it's cheaper, and B, it retains heat better than tubular steel and it's the heat that helps 'pull' the spent gases out of the chambers......believe it or not, from exhaust port to tail pipe is a precise calculation, so get that 6 brancher lagged!

Started the engine for the first time since the rebuild...IT'S ALIVE! :twisted:

No fitment issues with the manifold, fell into place without any problems.

hello again !

Does your vr6 have a cat still in place with this manifold? I was looking at the raceland six branch on ebay ,but dont know if you can keep the cat ?

The raceland one is £220.00 dont know if youve seen it !

I got rid of the CAT a while ago because it was buggered, I've got a CAT bypass pipe on the car at the moment.

I'd seen the Raceland manifold on German eBay, but then noticed the OBX one. It's a really well made bit of kit, T304 stainless steel and for £160 delivered to my door from the States I'm not complaining!

Got any links for the OBX one? Sounds good!

Here's a link to an active eBay auction by the same seller.

The 'Buy It Now' price is the same as when I bought mine.

Just back from the first drive after the rebuild and I'm proper chuffed! :)

The engine is really quiet and really smooth and the manifold gives the exhaust a more offbeat note at idle...hmm!

Got a good few weeks of running in ahead of me, but I'm looking forward to getting all that out of the way and exploring the upper regions of the rev range again!

Nice one! Get it on the dyno so we can see what the manifold is yielding ;-)

Will do! The car was dynoed at Star Performance in Kirkcaldy before I bought it, but all I've got is the receipt and not the printout!

Thanks again for the exhaust wrap link Henny, I put my order in so should hopefully see it early next week.

Been out in the car again and clocked up about 50 miles. Feels like a completely different car!

The Vibratechnics mounts make a hell of a difference. Used to turn into a corner and then feel the weight of the engine shift over, but now it feels nice & pointy.

Been a bit down about the car for a wee while now, what with it chucking out blue smoke on the overrun and rattling away to itself (tappets), but now the Corrado smile is firmly back on my face! :D