Sign in to follow this  
bix

G60 0-60 in 6.62s :)

It's the gearbox that kills the 0-60 in a G60, you can have as mush power as you like, but the 0-60 will always suffer unless you put in a VR6 1st and 2nd in.

Yeah, but the only reason to change the 1st and 2nd gear is to get a better 0-60 time, it aint gonna make the car quicker 0-80, if fact it may even be slower.

I would have thought that, with the longer 2nd gear, when you change up to 3rd you'd be higher in the power band, so it would be quicker???

I thought that too, but then 0-50 is gonna be quicker with the g60 gears, then the vr gears need another gear change after 60, prolly doesnt make a lot of difference 0-80 with the vr gears :)

With the VR 2nd gear, you hit 3rd at around 55 which is smack bang in the power band for 3rd gear...

0-50 seems faster with the VR 2nd gear, I dunno if it is or not to be honest, but not having to change at around 45 with the standard 2nd gear I'd have thought would make it quicker. 1st is the same ratio anyway, but is part of the same shaft as second which is why you have to change both when you want the VR6 second cog.

0-80 is DEFINATELY quicker as 3rd gear is hit mid torque/power curve (changing up at just over 50mph) which makes 3rd fly past upto 80... 8)

I changed my 2nd gear 'cos I always felt it was a weak ratio in the standard G60 box, not just for the 0-60 improvement as you need to practically redline the engine to hit 60 which I don't like doing. The standard 2nd always seemed stupidly short and I tended to hit 3rd at around 40mph which was too slow a speed to hit the main chunk of the power curve... after I fitted the engine I built to my modified gearbox, I probably could have gotten away with leaving the ratios as they were 'cos the torque curve flattens off from about 2K anyway so that wouldn't have been a problem anymore, but while the box was in bits, it seemed daft not to do it for the price of the parts... 8)

My 1.9 8v Golf is quicker to 60 than my G60 Corrado, thought you all needed to hear that ;) After that though the G60 kicks ass.

At pod i raced a VR6 with a shrick inlet, i was actually quicker off the line but when he hit 3rd he went past me. was 30 degrees on the day though

My 1.9 8v Golf is quicker to 60 than my G60 Corrado, thought you all needed to hear that ;) After that though the G60 kicks ass.

At pod i raced a VR6 with a shrick inlet, i was actually quicker off the line but when he hit 3rd he went past me. was 30 degrees on the day though

Get urself a golf fmic! 8)

My mate has a mk2 with a 2.0 16v mk3 gti engine in. No cat and decent exhaust and chip. He did a 6.39 at the inters blowing my 6.97 out of the water but i munched him up just at the end of the 1/4.

He came to stealth with me and his made 173 on their rollers which i thought was massively impressive for a valver! Its even quite torquey in the mid range, prob due to the light body.

Bearign all this in mind i would think any raddo making 200bhp should be down in the low 6s. But i dont know anything about the ratios on G60s, or how accurate the inters timing gear was??

the inters timing gear was bobbins... it wasn't even close to being accurate and didn't even stay consistant over the two days... :roll:

Just had mine done at Competition transmission services , http://www.gearboxman.com , they did a top job and it cost me £200 cash to get 1st and 2nd vr6 gears fitted ( i supplied the vr6 box etc). they provide an excellent service although i had to wait a month or so for mine as they had quite a bit of work on at the time. but then again i wasnt in that much of a hurry anyway, Stealth racing also do this conversion aswell for a similar price but that was a bit far for me to travel as i am down south.

yeah as far as i know you can? ( they are practically the same, as far as i was told by stealth racing) the place i took it to stripped all the gears down anyway just to checked i had the rite gears aswell, they also do a nifty gear ratio tool on their site which gives you an idea of what you would achieve by putting in the gears, its only a guide but i had a little play with it ands its quite cool to see the different combinations.

http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/inforatios.html

henny those 7.04 and 7.05 sec to 60 at bruntthorpe were in the rain ! . so they were good times. i;ve mangeged a 6.5 at santa pod. got the ticket somewhere to prove,. i also belive the expense of putting a vrs6 2nd and 3rd is well over rated. the std g60 box is fine. it take practise to lanch proberly.

g60bv, my box was already in bits, so it only cost me an extra £200 for the gear ratio change... 8)