Sign in to follow this  
Colley

VR6 not firing

Hi ya i'm after a bit of help please.

My 95 VR6 is resisting starting at the moment and i'm not sure why?

I turn it on and the charge seems to be all right as it turns over as normal but it doesnt kick in as quick as it has done in the past, it can take a couple of goes and turning the key for about 5-6 seconds.

I changed the battery in November, the leads in february and the spark plugs in May.

I've gone through the old posts to see if there have been any similar problems and i'm thinking it maybe the crank sensor? I'm not the most mechanical minded person so i could do with a few suggestions.

Thank you for your help!

Does it run alright once it has started? Do you know anyone with Vag-Com so you can test the diagnostics?

If there's no fuel or spark during this extending cranking (get someone to assist you checking this) then the crank sensor is losing it's resolution and eventually, it will die completely.

Otherwise my money's on the fuel pump....

Ok great a couple of things to check tonight.

Andy - I dont know anyone round my way with VAG-COM, might have to invest in it for future use.The car runs fine once it has started.

Kev - If there were no fuel or spark it simply wouldnt start would it? Or could it as its on its last legs?

Cheers for your help though guys, helps to have help to at least narrow down the problem.

Nope, which is why the ECU shuts off the fuel and spark when the crank sensor is dead because it doesn't want the engine to start! However, if the sensor is on it's last legs, occasionally every, say, 15th revolution might get a signal from the sensor and then fire up and run normally.

If it's consistently taking ages to start, could be the pump (there's a non return valve in it which can sometimes stick open), ECU or pump relays etc etc...anything!