Sign in to follow this  
Riley

tow bars?

anyone have one on there rado?

ive never had the rear bumper off,how would it mount?

to the bumper or bolted through the boot floor? :shock:

neil.

Ive only EVER seen one rado with a towbar on

This was several years ago on a TV program showing about street racing etc.I

They came to the oldest boy racer in the country (he was an ol grandad cant remember his age now,bout 60 at a guess) and guess what, he had a rado vr6! and had been banned from driving because he overtook 3 cars on a country lane lol!!!

But 1 thing i remember specifically was that on his back bumper half way through there was a large gap cut out and a towbar coming through...didnt look right atall really.

:lol: crazy old guy by the sounds of it!

cheers m8,really dont want to bolt through the floor,and! have to chop the bumper too.

would be just about aceptable :roll: if i could mount it to the bumper?

just wondering if theres a chunky enough metal bracket? and wether it would be safe/doable or not?

neil.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18687&highlight=bunker

You can see mine in one of those pics. It looks a lot better now I've sprayed it to match the bumper, but no bodywork has been cut, and as far as I know I could remove it at any time by simply cutting through the upright behind the bumper.

I'm going to try and wash the car this afternoon so I'll get some better pics up, as several people have asked me about this now.

you dont need to modify the car in any way to fit a towbar, you just remove the bumper by removing the 4 bolts underneath and slide it out, then unbolt the 2 legs that slide inside the chassis then just bolt the tow bar in its place, i have a spare rear bumper with the towbar permanently attached to it just so it takes about 5 minutes to fit and remove, i have only ever used it for a mountain bike trailer though.

Big-ted,pics would be cool 8)

coolrado,that sounds superb to me! :D

just to clarify,theres a metal bracket that unbolts from the bumpers,and this is what you can bolt the towbar to?

thanks guys. 8)

There's a guy on VWVortex that has a hitch under the bumper so there was no cutting at all. He has a trailer for his racing gear that is the back half of a corrado. Both the car and the trailer are painted the same and have the same wheels. Pretty cool.

JMR (16vg60) was taking one off a corrado last week. He had the tow bar and bracket and a bumper which had been modded to make it work. He might still have them in his garage.

cool,thanks m8.

think im right in saying he uses the forum then? 16vg60?

got a feeling he's gonna be miles away from me though,north west?

If hes got it I will happily pick it up, I'm going to Warrington on 22nd October so we could arrange to meet and I can hand it over

superb andy :D

ill send him a pm and see what the crack is,needs to be cheap as possible too! :oops:

thanks,neil.

in fact where are you andy? where is jmr,warrington?

I'm in West Sussex about half an hour from JMR. Dropping off my Nugget G60 at my dads on the 22nd as in the middle of a house move and have to somehow get three cars up to the new house - will be flying back after dropping the car off

That was my tow bar!! John said it was only held on to the rear beam by bolts! needed no cutting at all and there wasn't any damage to the bumper. said to john he can have it, think he may have already given it away tho!

looks so much better with out the bar on 8)

Sorry to bump.gif an old thread, but I bought a genuine removable tow bar off another Corrado owner last year. He'd had it years, from brand new, and never fitted it. It had been sitting in his garage for all that time.

It's been sitting in mine for a while now, but the time has come for me to either fit it or sell the Corrado. Since I'd rather stuff live wasps up my arse than do the latter, I'm going to have to do the former. :D

One of the things that has put me off so far is the thought that I'd have to cut the bumper. But a search of various threads on here (including this thread) suggests that maybe the bumper doesn't have to be cut.

Does anyone have any experience with the genuine removable bar specifically?

Yes, it is the VAG one as far as I am aware. :(

How much of the bumper needs to be cut then, do you know?

Edit: Maybe that's why he never got round to fitting it. :)

dunno, but I'm in the process of modding my none VAG towbar so that it's got a removable gooseneck... ;)

From what I remember of the VAG ones, they need quite a visible chunk outta the bottom of the bumper... :(

dunno, but I'm in the process of modding my none VAG towbar so that it's got a removable gooseneck... ;)

From what I remember of the VAG ones, they need quite a visible chunk outta the bottom of the bumper... :(

That's what I can recall when I looked into getting one. The price from VAG is unbelievale I think I was quoted around £800 fitted :shock:

That's what I can recall when I looked into getting one. The price from VAG is unbelievale I think I was quoted around £800 fitted :shock:

I think I paid around £100 + shipping, which is somewhat of a bargain as it has never been fitted and is essentially new.

Shame about the bumper being needed to be cut though - kind of defeats the point of it being removable. :(