Sign in to follow this  
PoorMansPorsche

cleaning headlining ???

alrighty peeps,

(sorry if been posted before but couldnt find anything in the search)

My headlining really lets down the car, whats the best way to clean and the best stuff to use, i take its better to remove the headlining from the car but if you do take it out is it easy to get it all back in place without saggage ??

cheers

brett

I took it out and cleaned it with Vanish Oxyaction powder mixed with water with a sponge and tried not to get it to wet until I then threw water over it then used a strong piece of plastic to "squeegey" the water off again always going in the same direction to avoid getting lines of direction in it! Then I let it in direct sunlight to dry, but I did do it on a warm day though! However I also helped it along with the use of a hairdryer!

I left my headlining on and cleaned it while in the car with some vanish carpet cleaner! worked quite well too, expect a very sore arm/shoulder/hand though!

washing machine powder will do it,in as hot as you dare water

(rubber marigolds optional)

any oil marks may not come out,

Ive been known to use a dab of petrol on those.

Careful what you use as I've seen a certain forum members Passat need a new headlining after a valet... what ever they used caused the material covering to peel away and sag quite badly! It's also been a nighmare for him to find a replacment so I hate to think what it would be like sourcing a C one :?

Let me know how you get on though as I need to do mine too at some point ;)

Careful what you use as I've seen a certain forum members Passat need a new headlining after a valet... what ever they used caused the material covering to peel away and sag quite badly! It's also been a nighmare for him to find a replacment so I hate to think what it would be like sourcing a C one :?

Though I have noticed that the Passat headlining fabric is foam backed (like the C's sunroof trim), whereas the C headlining fabric is just fabric, and a lot more durable at that!

Watch out for certain cleaners staining the lining though, as that's what's happened to my replacement lining, damnit!

1001 carpet cleaner - you can do a fairly good job in situ...

Used that on mine a few weeks ago, worked fairly well, didn’t realise just how dirty it was :oops: