Sign in to follow this  
OK VR6

MK V Golf GTI RACE

Has anyone come up against the new Golf GTI yet. I can wait to see what my C will do to it :D

Any experiences???

no not yet but good post, don't think i've read about anyone putting there c up against one yet.....

why not?- are they all hairdressers cos i ain't come across one that'll play yet - isn't there a forum we can go to and do a bit of goading!!! :) Surely by now someone must have found a non-hairdresser mk5 driver (I'm doing my best here to get this thread linked into a mk5 forum ;) )

I love the look on peoples faces when my C just pulls away like a train.

I think there just scared. Looking at the perfomance figures of the GTI it will quite a good match. Although I think the C has better 0-60 times.

Any one been up against a R32 yet, I trounced a V5 the other day lol

H8RRA- i like your style,

i've been on the isle of wight for a year now and believe it or not there are quite a few mk v gti's and not one i have seen has ever looked like it's in a hurry, there's plenty of mk 4 that have a go :D tho, there always good for a laugh..... quite a few mk 2's too...

As the V is prett new and cost shit loads only the hdressers are interested. Wait a bit and we will have our fun, just like 1.8T`s lol

i reckon it'd be pretty close power-wise, although dont the gti's have a 6 speed box? thats going to give them a definate advantage during the launch and first few gear changes.

I wasted a Mk4 1.8T the other day.

He pulled up along side and went for it, he heard the boost return, then he looked shocked as I popped the C in 3rd and booted it!!

No Mk5's will play yet

i reckon it'd be pretty close power-wise, although dont the gti's have a 6 speed box? thats going to give them a definate advantage during the launch and first few gear changes.

why, haven't you? :) [Gloat mode off] :)

I've gone up against a MK5 and they're quick!. They'll piss on a VR off the lights, make no mistake.

That was when I had the schrick and cams.... haven't been against one charged, not that I can do anything over 5000rpm at the moment, anyway.

He flew off the lights which surprised me and flooring it in 1st didn't really claw much of the gap back, by which time he was in 2nd and pulling away....caught up eventually but he bottled it at 100.

I reckon if you come up against a MK5 driver that's as equally committed to proving something as you are, then you'll struggle....and they can chip to 240bhp easily.

depends on the driver too i guess, i always harp back to the race i had with an s3, I'm positive he should have beaten me but i suspect he couldnt drive it to its full potential (not that I'm saying I can do that with the VR 100% of the time!)

True some days are better than others, one question

do you drive to max BHP or Torque.

Do you push to redline in each gear or 5k?

Im going to Protyre today to get my C looked at, needs a bit of tracking, bloody speed hums or should I say C breakers lol

in my valver i used to use the redline quite a lot for obvious reasons but in my vr and now my G60 i hardly ever see the redline to be honest, it's only on special occasions :D when i may touch it. otherwise 95% of the time 5k tops.....

I think I need to relax a bit, Im hitting Rline most of the time (road willing).

dont blame me, the noise is toooooooooo addictive!!!!

i'd say more like 98.9% paul ;)

If i'm going for it, i change around 5500k since things seem to level out at that point power/torque-wise. It may not be the ideal change point but it seems to work for me!

I don't thrash it off the limiter, very rarely do I go over 6000 rpm. There's no point on a standard engine....and a brand new MK5, no doubt a company car (who has £20K + for a bloomin GTI?!) can afford to thrash around. Do you want to put your 10 year old VR into an early grave churlishly keeping up with a car, that on paper, is not going to give you a victorious win anyway, even if you did manage to creep past it.

At the moment, my strongest torque is at 3800 rpm, so I change at 5000rpm and it drops back into that torque again nicely, thanks to the shorter diff I have. That is plenty to make rapid progress. When the charger is finally sorted, I'll exploit more of the top end.....but no, I bought the charger cause I love the look of that snail bolted to the side of my engine ;-) Actually, Chris Winter talked me into it, LOL!

cool, hows the shortshifter working???

superbly, i've not actually driven a VR without one but my 16v had a standard shifter and felt like rowing a boat on gear changes :? the short shift deffinatly helps sprint times.

cool, hows the shortshifter working???

superbly, i've not actually driven a VR without one but my 16v had a standard shifter and felt like rowing a boat on gear changes :? the short shift deffinatly helps sprint times.

go-on chris - i'll have to put you on commission :)

I bought the charger cause I love the look of that snail bolted to the side of my engine ;-)

shiny snails for me