Sign in to follow this  
wcrado

my electric windows only work when the drivers door is open!

like it says in the description, my electric windows, both sides, have decided to only work when the drivers door is open. whats going on and how do i fix this?

Could be a break in the loom going across into the drivers door that is only making when the door is open.

Does the electric window on the passenger side work with the passenger side switch (drivers door closed)?

Fuse 14 mate, change it cos its blown!

(think its 14)

Had the smae with my corrado about 4 weeks ago

Do you electric mirrors still work out of interest?

T.

Fuse 14 mate, change it cos its blown!

(think its 14)

Had the smae with my corrado about 4 weeks ago

Do you electric mirrors still work out of interest?

T.

If fuse 14 is blown, why do the windows work with the drivers door open?

cos they do!! Its the corrados great wiring. Its a sort of built in conveyence thing.

Pull the fuse out and try yourself.

T.

Wot does fuse 14 do?

my corrado does this, so does my merc thought it was a german thing. I mean if you got the door open there is no reason wny the windows done need to work if you get what I mean.

i think you will find this is a loom problem. the only difference when the door is open is that the door strike switch is open (interior light on) although this shouldn't affect the windows and the loom is in a different position and is probably making the broken circuit (most probable cause).

fuse 14 is the fuse for the electric windows. By the way never take any notice of the manual or the table thats on the fuse cover as to what fuse is which because often they dont match up and will have you scratching you head for weeks

T.

OK guys,

No loom fault, not a design feature, yes different fuses - there are three circuit standards covering C/L & Windows jointly.

1988 & 89 - Fuse 43 (20amp) above the fuse/relay panel.

1990 - 94 - Fuse 14 (10 amps), 16 (10 Amps) & 52 (20 amps above the relay panel)

1995 Fuse 4 (15 amps), 14 (10amps) & 52 (20 amps above the relay panel)

If fuse 14 goes, there is still power on the window lifter relay control box. I can see no reason why the door open has this effect but one cause is back feeding the circuit ie. the window switch is acting as an earth rather than providing control power. The door switches and window lifter motors all directly hang off the controller so what ever condition you are creating by pulling fuse 14 is happening inside the window controller box.

Fuse 52 kills the remaining power on the windows. This is also shared by the C/L pump which also uses fuse 16 (1990 - 1994 C's) or 4 (for 1995 C’s).

But it still doesn't explain why the windows work with the drivers door open, or am I missing something here?

Had a more detailed look at this.

Both door switches do play a part in the circuit. It works like this on all three circuit versions fitted to the Corrados …..

After the ignition is turned off, the windows will still operate providing that BOTH doors STAY SHUT. Both driver and passenger side switches will continue to operate the windows up/down. If however either door is opened, then the controller stops the windows working immediately. The controller senses this through a quite thin brown/white stripe wire on the door switch. Also on the other door contact is the thicker brown/white stripe wire, which is the interior light. Therefore both door switches should have TWO brown/white stripe wires attached on separate contacts to earth.

The fault you all have is either of the following…..

The door pin switch is highly resistive/dirty so the window controller is not seeing a direct earth when the door is opened. In this case clean up both point contacts (especially the thin brown/white stripe wire contact).

Or

The thin brown/white stripe wire has become detached from the door contact switch and is dangling inside the door pillar cavity. Have a search inside there through the square hole (retrieve it using a large paper clip made straight and a hook at the end). Both brown/white stripe wires on the driver’s side (similar on the passenger side - may not be the case with pre 1990 Corrados, drivers door only on these) can be found going into the cavity near the top corner of the fuse/relay panel. The door gaiter for the door’s wiring traps them as they pass into the cavity.

Either of these conditions will let the both windows continue to operate with the driver’s door open (and like wise with the passenger door if that’s got either fault above) which would explain why opening the passenger door stops the windows operating as this switch is working normally.

Door pin switch part number is 165 947 563. It must have two spade connections.

Best replaced from experience cos once they give trouble, they are difficult to get fully clean and give good contact. The problem generally soon returns and it’s not worth the hassle at about £3.

----------------

There is no relay on the fuse/relay panel. The window controller box does it all.

RW1: "which would explain why opening the passenger door stops the windows operating as this switch is working normally"

He said that his windows only work with the drivers door open.

CHILL! Old boy with the yellow G60 was right, it was just fuse 14 blown! i replaced it and everything is cool.

It would have been easy to figure out if the fuses were correctly listed in the handbook! according to that, the fuse for the electric window was in a seperate holder above the relay's, god knows what it said fuse 14 was for, but electric windows weren't listed as being in the fuse box.

I'm glad you have got to the bottom of the problem.

I tried pulling fuse 14 on my c and seeing if the windows would work with the door open but they didn't. Still can't figure why yours did.

I tried pulling fuse 14 on my c and seeing if the windows would work with the door open but they didn't. Still can't figure why yours did.

1995 C's are wired slightly differently. Mine is the same with fuse 14 pulled. The wire diference is another additional pin on the controller is used with the window switches.

--------------

wcrado, glad you got sorted. Be interested to know wire colours are on your rdriver's door pin switch sometime?

You've definately got a wire shorting in the door jam. It gets pinched while the door is closed. I see it alot in Jeep Grand Cherokee's too. Just try running temporary wiring, and see if that solves the problem. Dont go to all the trouble off running it through the door boots and dash yet, just drape it ove r the seats and see if it works right.