Sign in to follow this  
g60griff

air filter change

right after reading something recently in the members gallery about a jabba filter letting s**t into the charger i have decided to stick with the standard airbox, i was just wondering which panel filter is best i know that k and n is the obvious one but is it the best. or are cone filters fine aslong as you keep them clean and oiled?

For longevity, and this has been backed up to me by Darren at G-Werks, too, my German mates all use the standard airfilter box and the oem paper filter element, as even the K&N panel filter does not filtrate fine enough for the G-Lader. Unless you like your scroll to look like the moon's surface after some time :lol:

I had a K&N and just replaced it with an oem paper filter element, as I value my charger too much ;-)

Tempest

Well to be fair my G60 has a K&N panel in the stock airbox and after hitting the standard rebuild interval of 30,000 miles (with a 68mm pulley) it was still pulling like a train.

Seems that the paper filter is best.. as i've said a few times lately, rapidly realising just doing everything the OEM way is the best so certainly wouldn't disagree with what Tempest says!

I know if I had another G60 I would most definately not be running a cone filter! :)

so even the k&n panel filter is'nt recommended :?: are the oem filters from gsf any different from the ones vag supply :?:

G60 is best used with OEM filter changed out every 10,000 miles. Tests show that by that stage the filter is past it.

Some of the "other" filters are not as good and it's important not to let the dust in onto the G60 vanes.

Yes, with naturally aspirated engines you can use the K&N panel filters, or even the Pipercross ones (I have one of those in both my Roccos).

Drilling the airfilter box gives a nice induction roar, but be careful where you place those holes, as you don't want to suck in hot engine bay air ;-)

I haven't drilled my airfilter boxes in my Roccos, BTW :roll:

Tempest

pinking is when the mixture in the cylinders explodes too early in the cycle - It can be caused by a weak mixture, badly setup timing, or an overly hot engine.

It's called pinking 'cos that's the sound the engine makes "pink pink pink pink..."

so again what is pinking? and is the 2x 2" holes in the lower part of the airbox? is this too big of a hole?

It will be fine, only way it would pink is like henny says,, so long as your car is set up properly and you drill the box in a fashion as not t0o suck in hot air from the enging bay it will not pink,, :D