Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Strange smell

Had my supercharger rebuilt by jabba in march/april. I was driving behind a car and we were both going about 40. I wanted to get past it so i slipped it into 3rd and put foot down to get past. I then smelt a "burning rubber smell" or at least it only smelt like that, not really strong smell either. I have smelt this before and it only seems to happen when running high revs (4000k plus) It doesnt come on when driving low revs. Can any one help me out.

Also the rubber vaccum tube coming out of the throttle body, the pipe is attached to a plastic tube witha jubilee clip. has fluid around where it is held on? Is there suppose to be fluid in there, it is a vaccum tube, is this connected to the supercharger have a trace of oil in it. Its not swimming but theres enough, was like that when i got it back off jabbasport but dont know if it was in there before it got rebuilt.

ANOTHER prob is that there are pipes along the front of the car under the bumper which appear to be leaking oil slowly. Where they lead to? and is it serious? When i did oil change i cleaned all there and its obv come back, so def leak.

Please help!!!

rubber smell huh...could it be a tyre rubbing..are you running the car really low and or wide tyres

oil at the front..could be a power steering pipe or charger trouble, ive just had to go elsewhere(g werks) to get mine done properly after less than 10k on a jabba rebuild...or maybe your ic pipes were full of oil from before the charger was done

Could be oil burning, mine does that sometimes when u put ur foot down, no big clouds of blue smoke yet tho!

I'm no G60 expert, but what's your tensioner like, that big damper thing with a spring on it? Just thinking if that has gone weak, you might be getting a bit of slip. I know when the VR serp' belt tensioner goes weak or if the idler pulley seizes, you get rubbery smells.

hmmm maybe, how can you tell if its weak? when i was trying to push it down to let the top of the tensioner back onto the thread it was bl££ding hard to push down.

take off the cover which goes over the belt driving the supercharger and check to see if there's a lot of dust in there... if there is, then your belt is slipping on the supercharger drive pulley which is causing the smell....

cheers henny ill have a look. Im presuming the belt is the right size cos bananaman from the forum who i bought the pulley off supplied it.

And if theres isnt any dust? where to look next?

:iamwithstupid: What Neil G60, said... ;)

A decent quality belt of the correct length will eliminate virtually all of the slippage when using a standard setup. The toothed belt system just manages to eliminate ALL slippage! :lol:

As to where to look next, dunno mate. Could possibly be that the P/S belt is slipping too? Without seeing it, it's difficult to identify this kinda problem over T'internet... :|