Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

which plugs & leads??

gonna change mine over in the next couple of weeks. but cant decide on standard leads, splitfire, magnecor, etc etc, then we have, ngk plugs splitfire, denso, nology, etc etc, so what should i really go for, as my head is spinning with technical jargon, and driving me to more grolsch.. :D

I beleive NGKs are standard on the VR rather than the usual Bosch, but that could be ballacks im not sure. Mine runs fine on them. Magnecore do 2 sizes, the big fat 8.5mm reds wont fit in your plastic runner bits, the smaller blue ones will but you still have to shave the plastic channels to make em bigger. Its still a squeeze.

I gave up and i've got cheapo £45 set from G&S which look rubbish but mines making over 200 fairly standard so they must be working ok.

Saving for a set of vag full metal enders, they are the best from what i;ve read.

However, i have seen and had many people say the custom order ones for about £75 from america are the dogs, anyone got a link?? You can order any width and colour and quality looks tops. I think osv has some on his so they must be good!

I think up to 7mm will fit in the channels. Or if you dont care you can have my set of mag reds for £40! plug plug......lead. Sorry i've had half a pint!

Magnecors are very good quality, I've had them on and off my engine loads of times with no probs. The 7mm leads will fit if you chizel off the plastic retainers in the channels, whereas with the 8.5mm leads you have to widen the entire channel which takes some time, (I used a appropriate sized dowl wrapped in glasspaper).

Can't imagine there's much difference between the Bosch and NGK spark plugs. I've got Bosch platinum in mine although I know some people prefer NGK. Better off not buying platinum plugs and just changing them more often IMO.

i take it a similar setup of plugs and leads will suit the 16v? ngks and magnecors?just gonna service mine,need some advice on best setup?

dinkusi take it the,re for the vr? forgive me if ive just asked another daft question!! had half a pint too! :drinking:

The only plugs you can get from the dealer now, for the VR, are the plats. BKR5EUP. http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk can still supply the non plats, BKR5EU for about £3 each tho. VW want stupid money for the plats, better off getting those from sparkplugs too if you want plats. There's no real advantage and the anode is only platinum coated, not solid platinum. You want densos if you require solid platinum.

Bosch equivalents are fine, there's some fallacy that you must only use NGKs in the VR, that's not true.

The key is regular replacement, the VR is fussy on plugs.

On the leads, having used many sets, I honestly prefer the original red berus, but only because I know how they're made and if you compare even the Maggies to them, there's no comparison in terms of structural integrity, for instance both plug ends are glued onto the wire for 100% water proofing and pulling strength, no other brand does that....but you pay handsomely for the VW ones. £120!!. The Maggies are the best aftermarket ones by far though. But the key to the leads is making sure they sit on the plug fully. I see so many VRs running poorly because the leads were lightly pushed on with a screwdriver or something and not making a full electrical contact.

cubed - Yup, they're for a VR. They're designed for a coilpack VR, but they will fit a dizzy one, just you might end up with a bit of extra slack on a couple of them.