Sign in to follow this  
Zach

Lowest displacement N/A 12v to reach 200whp?

Just wondering if anyone knows of a naturally aspirated 2.9L or even a 2.8L 12v to get 200whp. - without NOS

I know there a plethora of 3.0L and 3.1L running around with 200whp.

Also what's the highest whp ever acheived by a NA 12v regardless of mods or displacement?

Thanks

Its hard enough to get them to 200bhp @ flywheel, let alone at the wheels.

Plus, US rolling roads lie.

Its hard enough to get them to 200bhp @ flywheel, let alone at the wheels.

Plus, US rolling roads lie.

You're definately right, it is hard, but it can be done, and it has been done. I don't understand the last statement though - If the dyno is done right (with it SAE corrected to even factor out such things as a change in elevation, temperature and humidity), I can't think of a more accurate way to measure output other than an engine dyno. A guess is just that, only a guess.

Anyway, after 4 days here's what I've found:

1) Race Shop Joe has a stock displacement 12v makeing 205whp/191wtq. He ran 12.49 at 108.8mph.

http://www.race-shop.net/

2) BillyVR6 on Vortex

vwisthebest (12:40 PM 9-27-2005): how much power did your NA 2.8 12v make?

billyVR6 (4:38 PM 9-27-2005): 194whp with the schrick 268's... went 12.87

unknown whp with the techtonics 288's (never dynoed)... went 12.83

3) 95GLX on the Vortex had a NA 2.8L 12v VR6 making 223.3whp/197.2wtq & 222.8whp/201.5wtq

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1354649

But here in the UK we use DIN not SAE which is a different metric!

Your 200WBHP will only be 168WBHP un the UK

Chris

Here in America a stock 2.8 12v makes 145-152whp. What does one make in the UK?

225bhp at the wheels implies something like 260bhp at the crank. Which is easy if you push the redline out to 7-8k rpm. You need 200lbft at ~7000 rpm to make 260bhp.

Not many standard VRs will make power at those revs though....

You need 200lbft at ~7000 rpm to make 260bhp.

Not many standard VRs will make power at those revs though....

Well 95GLX's engine did make over 200lbft to the wheels, so I guess it is an accurate measure of horsepower to the wheels.

The key value is the difference between the original numbers and achieved numbers.

95GLX's engine produced 223whp on a dyno that, under the same conditions, yields ~145whp from a stock 2.8L 12v. That's an 80whp difference! He made this accomplishment via a BVH, standalone management, and ITBs. On a completely stock 2.8L bottom end.

Congratulations. (To him/her!)

So he has a 7k rpm rev limiter, and some "interesting" cams and valve springs..?

Consider the Honda VTEC - 6500rpm rev limiter gives you a healthy 150bhp. 8000rpm limiter and the same block and head (ok but with variable valve lift/timing) gives you 200+bhp..

Funnily enough I have heard tell of a bvh 2.9 VR6 with Schrick cams and standard ECU (rechipped) achieving around the 245bhp @crank figure in the UK. Bearing in mind this is with a standard 6500rpm rev limit ..

BTW:

One SAE/British Horsepower is 746 watts/0.746 kilowatts.

One DIN/JIS HP/PS (euro/japan horsepower) is 735.5 watts.

SAE = Society of Automotive Engineers.

DIN = Deutsches Institut fuer Normung.

ISO = International Standards Organisation.

PS = Abbreviation for German term for horsepower. (~ Pferdestarke)

JIS = Japanese Standards Institute.

1 DIN/JIS/PS hp = 0.986 SAE/British hp

So 223 SAE hp (UK/US measure) is 226 PS/DIN @ wheel (euro/japan measure)

In other words there's pretty much feck all difference between DIN and SAE. eg: Bugatti Veyron: 1001 PS, 986 bhp.

just out of interest - are american miles shorter? (or down hill)

I have never seen a vr running under 13 seconds for a quarter mile in this country?

Phat had a vr mk2 fully stripped out with his fancy box and it was still in the 13's

just out of interest - are american miles shorter? (or down hill)

I have never seen a vr running under 13 seconds for a quarter mile in this country?

I've heard their 1/4 isn't as long as ours, but I don't know for sure.

I think 110+ octane racing fuel, feck off great slicks, ATBs and very short FDs are partly responsible for these times. I'm sure the MK3 'All motor' VR6 on Turn2's old website was pulling their 1/4 in 10 or 11. something. It was gutted out though.....but it does make you wonder how such 'creative' numbers are derived though. Not even an Evo FQ400 with 4 wheel drive can pull the 1/4 in 10 seconds....but that's partly also because the engine usually blows up after 100 yards cause it's tuned too much :-)

I think over there they take drag racing their cars a bit more seriously (as kev says with high octane fuels, slicks, etc) whereas we just turn up to the pod with stock cars and run them a few times for a bit of fun.

I'm also quite sure from pictures i've seen that the start of the 1/4 is usually a mild downhill slope on some American drag strips...

According to an American dictionary:-

1. abbr. mi. or mi A unit of length equal to 5,280 feet or 1,760 yards (1,609 meters), used in the United States and other English-speaking countries.

So I guess theirs and our miles are the same? Although I always thought a mile was 1500 meters, but there you go!