Sign in to follow this  
Henny

Make your car go faster... (possibly anyway)

'Lo all...

Last night as I was starting to change my heater matrix I discovered something that has completely transformed how my car is on full throttle... :| :shock:

I always thought that the engine in my G60 wasn't as explosive (power wise!) in the grey one as it was in J-DUB, but since this discovery (and it's free solution), the difference is marked and was instantly noticable... :o

So? What did I find and what did I do? :? (and why is this in interior?!? ;) )

I found that the stop under the throttle pedal was not screwed in properly and so was stopping me from opening the throttle fully... :oops: :lol: Removed it (as I'm taking out the carpets anyway) and suddenly the engine performs as I remember it doing! 8) :lol:

The same can be achieved by checking that when fully pressed, the throttle cable is opening up the throttle to its max amount as well!

I always felt my 2.0 16v felt a bit sluggish till a mate and me had a look at it and found that as it had stretched over time, it wasn't opening the throttle fully.. quick adjustment and it felt like the car had just had some miracle power boost :)

When I got my hands on the (still) faulty Corrado belonging to my friend I found that the pedal was only opening the throttle about 3/4 of the way and the air intake was split. It didn't solve the cold running problem but it doesn't 'alf go better when it's warm!

It WAS opening fully when I first installed the engine, but I had to bed it all in again, the stop has obviously not taken well to the extra thrashing that the car now gets and undone itself in protest! ;) :lol:

Lol @ henny, nice find

My mate Ben's g60 when he first had it took me for a spin, and i wasn't overly impressed by the power, i noticed the slight wistle you get just before the return valve closes was constantly there when his foot was down, i got him to pull over as soon as i twiged and sorted the problem with a bit more adjustment. He needed to make a stop at bargain boose on the way home :D

Chris M, I guess that's where I have a problem with mine then... I can't hear the normal whistle 'cos of the whine from the toothed pulley kit! :lol: :oops:

Funny enough I found the exact same thing on my G60 last night when I was tightening up a few rattely bits of trim in that area 8)

Its worthwhile checking that the boost return is fully closing at full throttle too.

Haha

I was once cleaning out the car, mats up parts of dash out, everything.

Then went to go into taxi mode and I thought, what the helll is wrong with this thing now???? Wasnt going very far atall, till I pulled over and noticed when I pout the mats back in they rolled up behind the accelerator :oops:

Maybe the Wire should check that his throttle is fully opening when the pedal is pressed! :lol:

Chris

Did that when I set the throttle sensor up mate ;-)